Keyless entry not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
CraigW92

Post by CraigW92 »

Hi all. Rather abruptly, both my key fobs have stopped working for my 2021 ST. The FordPass app also will not let me unlock the vehicle. The app is up to date, and I have refreshed the data. The app says the car is fine with no warning messages. I have also had no messages flash up about low fob battery in the car. I haven't used the car for 3 days, but frequently go longer than that between firing it up. I have used one of the fobs since purchasing and the other has sat unused as a spare.

So, two questions, any ideas what's up with both key fobs? Secondly, I know I can pop the back of the fob and use the key blade but am worried this will set the alarm off, is this the case and if so how long do Puma alarms sound bearing in mind I have no way of turning it off!

Thanks in advance :)

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

CraigW92 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 pm Hi all. Rather abruptly, both my key fobs have stopped working for my 2021 ST. The FordPass app also will not let me unlock the vehicle. The app is up to date, and I have refreshed the data. The app says the car is fine with no warning messages. I have also had no messages flash up about low fob battery in the car. I haven't used the car for 3 days, but frequently go longer than that between firing it up. I have used one of the fobs since purchasing and the other has sat unused as a spare.

So, two questions, any ideas what's up with both key fobs? Secondly, I know I can pop the back of the fob and use the key blade but am worried this will set the alarm off, is this the case and if so how long do Puma alarms sound bearing in mind I have no way of turning it off!

Thanks in advance :)
This might be a daft response. But have you tried rigourously shaking the key fob?
The key fobs on early the ST's can switch off completely, as a security measure in order to stop relay attacks when no movement by as been detected by the fob.
Okay call me stupid if it doesn't work. But I have found it has happen on mine a couple of times.
But considered changing the key fob battery to start with. Simple enough.
I've gone one step further these days for security have switched off keyless entry in the settings menu. Fob button pressing only for me now.
Must admit never tried opening the car with an actual key, but surely the alarm will not sound if the right key is used and your fob has a good battery.
Having said that perhaps the car battery is completely dead, in which case you will have to use your key regardless. (Can't remember if alarm system has a back up battery?)
Last edited by Rays1 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CraigW92

Post by CraigW92 »

Just tried a rigorous shake and nothing. What makes me think it isn't the fob battery is BOTH fobs aren't working, so have both died at the same time, as well as the ford pass app also not working
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

CraigW92 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 pm Just tried a rigorous shake and nothing. What makes me think it isn't the fob battery is BOTH fobs aren't working, so have both died at the same time, as well as the ford pass app also not working
Worth a try. Oh well.. Next try a new key fob battery. If that doesn't work then it has to be a physical key in the lock in order to get access. Which in that case unfortunately suspect the vehicles battery or worse.
Do let us know how you get on. Good luck
Last edited by Rays1 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigW92

Post by CraigW92 »

I thought it might be car battery, but would have thought the Ford Pass app would have flagged up a warning, but it says everything is fine. Any idea if the manual entry is likely to set the alarm off?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The manual entry shouldn't set off the alarm.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.