Adjusting high and low beams independently

All Ford Puma related discussions
Franek

Post by Franek »

Hi all,

I have one issue with headlights.. its not a big issue, but I would like to do something about it if there is a way.

So recently I've upgraded high beam bulb from stock H1 to LED one and started to notice that my high beam seems to be pointing too high. I think its not because of the upgrade to LED bulbs.. I think it was the same with the old H1 bulbs.. but that light was so weak that I did not notice it.

I know you can adjust the level of the headlams from the inside of the car.. but that adjustment is for BOTH short and high beam. There are also adjustment screws on the headlamps for horizontal and vertical adjustment, but they are also for adjusting whole light (short and high beam together) and I whould like to adjust only high beam to bring it closer to low beam as my low beam is OK.

All I can find is that there is a screw on a high beam bulb socket, but I dont think its for adjusting (https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovfaGPmXGFbkM57Q8).. also I dont know if bulb position has an effect on beam aiming position, or its related to light reflective part construction.. or maybe related to something else (bulb construction.. position of light source on the bulb..etc).

I dont want to go to dealer only because of that, but will definitely ask next time, but just wanted to see any opinions here.
Ford Puma 1.0 ecoboost mhev 125hp S-line 2023 & Ford S-max 2.0tdci 150hp Titanium 2017

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Take it to a local garage who does mot's. They will adjust it for you.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
UbF

Post by UbF »

Are you absolutely sure the LED lamp is not bent and that you've mounted it absolutely level within the housing?
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
matthen

Post by matthen »

Do us all a favour, and put the halogens back in.

The lenses are not designed for LED bulbs. The beam pattern will be crap, and will dazzle oncoming drivers (no matter how they're adjusted) - they're also an MOT failure as of 2021 - autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

Look at the interior of the headlight of a Puma with LEDs and without them - note the difference. If you want LED headlights, buy a car with them.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Franek

Post by Franek »

I dont think LED lamp is bent as both sides are the same..and I think its small chance that both sides are bent the same way.
Regarding MOT adjusting..again I dont think they can adjust separately high from low beam.
As regarding dazzeling incoming traffic I am talking about high beams. .so I am not planning to use them with incoming traffic ..no metter halogen or led
Ford Puma 1.0 ecoboost mhev 125hp S-line 2023 & Ford S-max 2.0tdci 150hp Titanium 2017
BJauto

Post by BJauto »

matthen wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am Do us all a favour, and put the halogens back in.

The lenses are not designed for LED bulbs. The beam pattern will be crap, and will dazzle oncoming drivers (no matter how they're adjusted) - they're also an MOT failure as of 2021 - autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

Look at the interior of the headlight of a Puma with LEDs and without them - note the difference. If you want LED headlights, buy a car with them.
TS had changed the bulb of the High Beam from H1 to LED. The low beam is already LED.

The high beam will dazzle oncoming trafic anyway, also with the original H1 bulb.
Last edited by BJauto on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Puma 1.0 Ecoboost 125 MH ST-Line X FE Desert Island Blue, Comfort Pack 2, Driver Assistance Pack, Winter Pack
simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

matthen wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am Do us all a favour, and put the halogens back in.

This is the high beam. They’re off when following/approaching others.
matthen

Post by matthen »

simonr23 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:50 am

This is the high beam. They’re off when following/approaching others.
I'll shuttup then!

The beam pattern will still be crap ;)
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

So still an mot failure.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.