ST or not to ST?

Ford Puma ST Chat
AliMac13

Post by AliMac13 »

Hi All Puma ST owners

I know there has been some old threads on this subject, but I'm specifically looking to get your opinions on the stiffness of the ride in the ST please.

I'm going to be placing a factory order with my local dealer for the new model Puma in the next few weeks, but they currently don't have any ST models for me to test drive.
My decision is between a fully spec'd ST line x 155 with 19" alloys or the ST model. In terms of cost there's virtually no difference once you add all the options to the stline x, personally I would prefer to have the ST because of sportier looks ,dark alloys, nice disc brakes all round etc...... My 2 main reservations are the possible firmness of the ride with ST having the stiffer suspension and the Ford performance seats maybe being too hard?
The car is just for my wife and I, no young kids anymore and no grandkids (yet) and I intend to keep for 5+ years. I'll mostly be driving around the Scottish Borders or Edinburgh,where the roads must be as bad as anywhere, even in my Titanium you feel the rough road surfaces. So in general A and B roads with occasional motorway & city driving.

I know it's ultimately my decision, but all opinions from ST owners gratefully received, particularly any from anyone who has driven both the full fat ST and auto version. My order if I go for the ST will ultimately be the new auto ST , I'm assuming the suspension set up will be the same for both that and the old 200 bhp ST car?

Cheers AliMac
Puma Titanium 125 agate black

Sarjee

Post by Sarjee »

Ultimately I'd try and find another dealer with an ST to drive as I have a feeling all us ST owners are only going to have good things to say.

Personally I don't find the ride too jarring and the ford performance seats are fantastic, much comfier than the recarros they used to supply in my opinion.

Yes suspension same on the manual and auto STs.
Puma ST Desert Island Blue - Dark wheels, power tailgate, M235
Puma ST Powershift Azura Blue - power tailgate
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I guess it is Ford cost cutting. A downgraded engine whilst retaining the original suspension set up from the 200bhp ST. In all honesty it doesn't make a lot of sence to me. In my opinion the set up on the original ST is about right. Yes a hard ride around town given the conditions of UK roads and thousands of pot holes making it seem far worse. But once you get going the ride is dam near perfect for that level of performance. However for the ST powershift with it's reduction in power then like wise Ford should have similarly toned down the suspension/ride in keeping.
Sadly in my opinion Ford as lost its way with the new ST Puma Powershift it is simply a 'try to suit all' compromise.
The ST and more so the RS badge was once considered a special breed of vehicle. I am not sure what ST actually stands for these days.

Post by 4251 »

Firstly imho, get a proper 200hp ST or don’t bother. 1.0 is giving the worst of both worlds. Lack of performance + a harsher ride without the benefit of the aforementioned performance. No point as that’s why they make the ST Line which retains the standard ride to go with the standard performance. And I wouldn’t touch a powershit with a barge pole, been potentially one of the most unreliable auto’s ever and combined with potentially one of the most unreliable petrol engines isn’t a great confidence booster. Although some think they might have sorted the problems, yehhh. That’s a big reason to get the manual 1.5 ST

The Recaro’s are superb, supportive and comfortable and look classier than the cheaper looking ford bulky seats, they were one of many cost cutting exercises. But that would be a second hand car.

The Puma ST ride is on the firm side of firm and amplifies road irregularities. It’s not bad at speed on all but the worse roads, in-fact can be quite refined. But at low speed on crap roads it can be very unsettled, being jiggled around, the worst is a sideways rock that can be instigated due to the top heavy raised up design, doesn’t happen in Fiesta ST but that car is definitely a more harsh ride than a Puma ST. My wife uses the ST most of the time and she loves it and makes a valid point. She says she loves driving it and doesn’t really notice the harsher ride, but doesn’t like being a passenger in it which she says she finds a bit too uncomfortable.
Sarjee

Post by Sarjee »

I think I mentioned before but we ended up going with an auto ST as by the time you spec up stlinex to similar spec as an ST the price is very similar and ST should have more resale value.
Puma ST Desert Island Blue - Dark wheels, power tailgate, M235
Puma ST Powershift Azura Blue - power tailgate