Is this torque steer or another other issue? Pulling to the right...

Ford Puma ST Chat
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Don't like the sound of that.. I get the impression it hasn't been looked after well, especially so when it appears to have had the odd tyre?. Parking up on curbsides may not have helped. Recommend you double check tyres pressures (34F-29R) when cold. Look for uneven tyre wear especially on the inside. Then ask your dealer to check the tracking as a starter for ten.
What is the alignment of your steering wheel when driving straight ahead. Is it off centre? If it is then suspect a tracking issue or perhaps worse.
My ST is modified M260, loads of torque and yes has an element of torque steer which is to be expected. But no where near to what you are describing.

PumaDude30

Post by PumaDude30 »

Yeah, I've ultimately come to that conclusion as well.

The dealer has been very good about it though. I explained the issue and they gave me an option of either a refund or a repair - I chose a refund as something seems 'off' about the car, and I'm not willing to take the risk. So I'm presently Puma-less but it won't be for long! Thanks to everone here for the feedback - it gave me the confidence to say that there was a definite problem and I wasn't just imagining things.

Post by 4251 »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:38 pm Don't like the sound of that.. I get the impression it hasn't been looked after well, especially so when it appears to have had the odd tyre?. Parking up on curbsides may not have helped. Recommend you double check tyres pressures (34F-29R) when cold. Look for uneven tyre wear especially on the inside. Then ask your dealer to check the tracking as a starter for ten.
What is the alignment of your steering wheel when driving straight ahead. Is it off centre? If it is then suspect a tracking issue or perhaps worse.
My ST is modified M260, loads of torque and yes has an element of torque steer which is to be expected. But no where near to what you are describing.
Tyre pressure should be 32 front and 26 rear cold , no more or wet grip especially will be compromised and excessive central tyre wear will occur plus the already firm ride will be worse.

Pulling to one side accelerating is often a ball joint, wayward tracking adjustment or suspension damage from an accident etc. Get it straight in, totally unacceptable and potentially dangerous!
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

4251 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:12 am
Rays1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:38 pm Don't like the sound of that.. I get the impression it hasn't been looked after well, especially so when it appears to have had the odd tyre?. Parking up on curbsides may not have helped. Recommend you double check tyres pressures (34F-29R) when cold. Look for uneven tyre wear especially on the inside. Then ask your dealer to check the tracking as a starter for ten.
Tyre pressure should be 32 front and 26 rear cold , no more or wet grip especially will be compromised and excessive central tyre wear will occur plus the already firm ride will be worse.

Pulling to one side accelerating is often a ball joint, wayward tracking adjustment or suspension damage from an accident etc. Get it straight in, totally unacceptable and potentially dangerous!
Not in my opinion.. I have found 34F-29R to be the best compromise. Allows for outside air temperature and weight variations be that passengers & boot load - 32F-26R is the specified minimum not the maximum.
I agree pulling to one side could be tracking issue and or some form of suspension damage.
I have tried varying pressures within the published Ford specifications range whilst I believe the lower Ford recommend pressures way to soft, especially so with terrible state of our UK roads and I have not experienced any central tyre wear.
Last edited by Rays1 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

I haven't got the LSD and I have all the lane guff turned off. Car has never been used in any mode other than sport. I do not get any torque steer, just a bit of spin if not enough grip.
Puma ST Agate Black
Mike

Post by Mike »

PumaDude30 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm Yeah, I've ultimately come to that conclusion as well.

The dealer has been very good about it though. I explained the issue and they gave me an option of either a refund or a repair - I chose a refund as something seems 'off' about the car, and I'm not willing to take the risk. So I'm presently Puma-less but it won't be for long! Thanks to everone here for the feedback - it gave me the confidence to say that there was a definite problem and I wasn't just imagining things.
getting a refund sounded way to easy but well done.
Did they offer to help find another for you?
What area do you live in, someone on here might know of a good one for sale
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
PumaDude30

Post by PumaDude30 »

I'm in E. Yorkshire, but bought it from Sheffield. To be honest I was surprised how easy it was too, particularly as it was my first time buying from a dealer. They did have a good reputation though. They're keeping an eye out for another for me, but there's a few around from other dealers (further away though) so it depends how much patience I have :D

Post by 4251 »

Rays1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:20 pm
4251 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:12 am

Not in my opinion.. I have found 34F-29R to be the best compromise. Allows for outside air temperature and weight variations be that passengers & boot load - 32F-26R is the specified minimum not the maximum.
I agree pulling to one side could be tracking issue and or some form of suspension damage.
I have tried varying pressures within the published Ford specifications range whilst I believe the lower Ford recommend pressures way to soft, especially so with terrible state of our UK roads and I have not experienced any central tyre wear.
Yes but if you decide to go outside of manufacturers specifications it’s your risk. 32 26 is not a minimum! It’s based on the weight of the car medium loaded to give the correct size footprint on the road for maximum grip (set cold) and even tyre wear. I use 32 26 max and have even wear all around possibly still very slightly more central wear which suggests 31 25 is more accurate for us as we carry little in the car. Running pressures warmed up are around 34 28 +. You find most performance / track oriented drivers go softer not harder.
UbF

Post by UbF »

PumaDude30 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:02 pm I'm in E. Yorkshire, but bought it from Sheffield. To be honest I was surprised how easy it was too, particularly as it was my first time buying from a dealer. They did have a good reputation though. They're keeping an eye out for another for me, but there's a few around from other dealers (further away though) so it depends how much patience I have :D
Ugh - if you live Hull way, don't envy you the run on the concrete sections of the '62 on 19s :D Drone thuddump. Drone thuddump. Drone thuddump - all the way to those poxy road works on the way into the carpark of Hull itself.

I'm up there in June for a mates stag do and i'll be doing Lincolnshire and over the bridge avoiding all of it!!!
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic