My ST MPG On A Run

Ford Puma ST Chat
Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

Not been on a long run for a while but my best was.....in sport mode always. Would it have been better on eco or std?

20220611_154733.jpg

Full fat ST in fantastic red, pan roof and electric tailgate.

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Denty1964 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:01 pm Not been on a long run for a while but my best was.....in sport mode always. Would it have been better on eco or std?
For anything other than constant speed driving in top gear then yes sport mode will be detrimental to fuel consumption.
Looking at your figures - 453 miles over 9 and a half hours at an average of 50.5mpg, that's an average speed of less than 50mph and presumably the majority of the journey was at a constant speed, so in your particular case sport mode would probably not be costing much at all in overall mpg.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.

Post by 4251 »

As far as engine response is concerned all that Sport mode does is make the throttle position more aggressive , less movement required for the same amount of throttle as compared to normal or eco but full throttle (and power) is still full throttle in all modes. So unless you’re deliberately accelerating harder in Sport, fuel economy will be no different, generally you automatically calibrate your own foot to match the throttle response!

I find zero difference to economy between the modes driving the same. But to get 50mpg +, I’ve done it a couple of times, you need a long very steady drive with few interruptions. Certainly not possible during the vast majority of cars normal use. Average speed for most will be nearer 40mph which would also be around 40mpg if you’re a half decent driver.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

4251 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:42 am As far as engine response is concerned all that Sport mode does is make the throttle position more aggressive , less movement required for the same amount of throttle as compared to normal or eco but full throttle (and power) is still full throttle in all modes. So unless you’re deliberately accelerating harder in Sport, fuel economy will be no different, generally you automatically calibrate your own foot to match the throttle response!
Generally speaking I agree with what you said.
The default mode is Normal so if you are used to this mode then you change to sport you will accelerate up to your cruising speed slightly quicker because you will be using your usual pressure on the throttle, therefore using slightly more fuel in the process.
This is the reason why some people think that using sport mode makes the car faster, but it does not.
If you use exactly the same driving style over exactly the same short or medium length journey under the same road conditions in the opposite extremes of Sport and Eco, then the former will use more fuel. I am not saying it will be a lot more but it will still be more.
For the Puma the difference will probably be negligible, but for a powerful car with an auto gearbox the difference will be significantly greater.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.