Where is this noise coming from?

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
lszl

Post by lszl »

Hi there Puma lovers!

I’ve just got mine and I’m absolutely in love with it. Such a great car.

I have one question though. Yesterday when I got home and the car was still idling, I heard a strange noise coming from the back wheel. It is like a popping or pumping sound. Unfortunately I was unable to locate it. Have a look here:

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi and welcome.
What model Puma do you have?
I've never heard a sound like that from either of mine. At a guess it could be linked to the exhaust.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Precisely where were you in relation to the car when you recorded that noise?
If the car is stationary then the noise cannot be coming from the wheel, so as Sparks suggested it is much more likely to be connected with the exhaust.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
lszl

Post by lszl »

Thanks for your reply. I have a 1.0 155 PS ST Line X with Driver Assist Package.

On the video there is an arrow pointing to the exact location where the noise came from. It was the loudest there. It's very strange because the exhaust is on the other side if I'm correct.

Hope this is enough information. I will show this to the dealer as well, will keep you guys posted if they find the cause.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

You did not say so I can only assume you were standing next to the nearside rear wheel and holding your phone (or other recording device) at the top of the wheel arch.
Can you hear the noise while sitting inside the car, and does it change at all when you gently increase the revs?
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
lszl

Post by lszl »

Yes, nearside and my phone was in the wheelarch. I don't remember hearing it inside the car but will check tomorrow. Also, not sure about whether it will change with revs. Will also check that. Thanks!
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Fuel pump I suspect or a fuel pressure associated fault......sure doesn't sound good. Just loose and or about to fail. Assume brand new car? Take it back to where you brought it.
lszl

Post by lszl »

Yes, brand new car. I'll go back to the dealer for sure and ask them to check it.