Troubles with the EcoBoost Wet Belt System !!

All Ford Puma related discussions
Johnballinger

Post by Johnballinger »

Hi All,,
I'm sorry if this question has been already asked,,,
I've been reading an awful lot about the troubles with the 'WetBelt System' in the EcoBoost Engine latley in the media..
Evidently the WetBelt shredes & disintigreats over time & the cast off material ends up blocking valves and can ruin the engine.
This disables the BRAKES !! Plus the WetBelt can snap leaving you stranded. Then i heard a Very hefty bill to repair.
I've got a Ford Puma First Edition ST Line 125 HP version,, 2019/20 Reg..
Has anyone got any info' on this please. Is there a recall ? as Ford seem to have now owned this fault.
Thank you for any & all info'. John.
Puma,, First Edition,, ST-Line,, 125 bhp,, Agate Black,, Spare Wheel....

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Thee camshaft is chain driven, the oil pump is belt driven. Check details with your local Ford dealer.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Johnballinger

Post by Johnballinger »

Thank you Rizmo, Can you tell me why so many people are complaining about the EcoBoost engine. I have no knowledge myself, My puma ST Line 125hp drives Beautifully But i've been seeing many, many folks are convinced there's a design error in the engine. Have some models got rubber belts all round , if so when did that change to Chain belts,, Once again thank you so much..
Puma,, First Edition,, ST-Line,, 125 bhp,, Agate Black,, Spare Wheel....
Mike

Post by Mike »

The eco boost engine has been around for years in various models/ sizes/ countries . Its pre Puma engines (like those in say a Bmax or ecosport) and probably only certain year groups that are affected
If you are worried speak to your local dealer as Rizmo said and they should be able to answer all your technical questions regarding the issue.
I'm not sure if Ford have actually just issued a recall for the affected models.
if it helps my cousin had a Bmax with over 120k on it and not had any issues.

I think my van has a wet belt and that has 128k on it, belt is due at 150k
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

Rizmo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:36 pm Check details with your local Ford dealer.
This isn’t a valid strategy in Australia. We have the most ignorant automotive industry you could imagine for a developed country.

Dealer technical staff are literally idiots and with zero knowledge of the cars.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Hi , i'm driving my thirth Ford with ecoboost engine ... never was an issue
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
Joelski

Post by Joelski »

From what I’ve researched it’s only the oil pump belt that’s wet belt. If serviced properly shouldn’t be an issue.
My puma STline has 37000km on it and is driving like a dream. But only just bought it from ford dealer.
When I take it for its service I will be asking about the oil pump belt.
ST line 125ps Desert Blue.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Joelski wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 am From what I’ve researched it’s only the oil pump belt that’s wet belt. If serviced properly shouldn’t be an issue.
My puma STline has 37000km on it and is driving like a dream. But only just bought it from ford dealer.
When I take it for its service I will be asking about the oil pump belt.
In your position I'd probably get it serviced earlier for peace of mind regarding the oil pump belt.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Blackpuma72

Post by Blackpuma72 »

This was covered on the one show tonight
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic Black
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Blackpuma72 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:07 pm This was covered on the one show tonight
It was indeed, I watched it.
The programme started at 7pm so the article was possibly not even finshed yet at the time you made your post. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.