1.0 ecoboost timing chain or belt check

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Mattyg

Post by Mattyg »

Mattyg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:33 pm
LittlePuma wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:41 am Hi guys, I can't find the schedule for the camshaft chain replacement.
Then due to cost of the operation wouldn't it be wiser to make the check of both the cam chain and the oil pump belt during the same operation?
Life span of parts are different for sure but one time you're there, I suppose the belt is not that expensive to replace.
I have spoke to someone who rebuilds mk3, 3.5 and the new chain engines in my area. I asked him about checking the oil pump. This was his initial answer on messenger. I don't know if this helps:

Hi, it’s a chain engine so pretty easy to remove the sump as the cat and exhaust are not in the way like the older belt engines, the issue you will have is if the oil pump belt has degraded you need to strip the timing chain off to remove which is a very big job, don’t just go off the condition of the pick up itself, inspect the oil pump belt thoroughly, is it a manual or an automatic?
This was also messaged because I only do 10k per 2 years. I don't know if these comments below are a bigger risk than any mainstream engine. I am changing for a change anyway. I had the 12 plate 1L ecoboost after my 1.6L duratec and it for 5 years 35k no problems with 1 year oil changes and the hose changed under warranty so I don't know if we over think things!

5k is good with fully synthetic 5w20’s oil, 2yrs is definitely too long, unfortunately the chain engine now has other inherent issues with pistons shattering that sadly you can’t do anything to prevent its just pot luck if it happens or not and we have started to see them with cracked heads like the old engine as well which again can’t be avoided.

Mattyg

Post by Mattyg »

steve a wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:11 am
Sparks wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm My twopence worth....The 2019 registered focus would be the 2018 engines. The Puma is a late 2019 manufacture and most were 2020 registered, my First Edition certainly was. So, probably the newer engine in the Puma...🤞😉😄
Hallelujah :D
I traded my 2019 Focus (with the old design) for a Puma partly because of the revised engine (155ps), I wouldn't say the old engine bothered that much as it was fully serviced so I didn't see it as a real issue.
Posting an article about a 2019 Focus with the wrong oil has NOTHING to do with the PUMA revised engine, but I suppose some people like to spread rumours :roll:
Show us some real evidence ;)
I haven't got any evidence but just for my information was there a ecoboost engine 2012 (I had this brand new one) and then one in 2018 which was phased in to different models like my focus in late 2018 and now a newer one which has been totally redesigned again? I didn't know there were 3 versions! I think the new puma engine is a version of the 2019 engine. It doesn't matter to me but I have been doing some research and speaking to ecoboost rebuilders but to be fair in relation to my car because fords don't interest me anymore.
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Mattyg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:33 pm
LittlePuma wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:41 am Hi guys, I can't find the schedule for the camshaft chain replacement.
Then due to cost of the operation wouldn't it be wiser to make the check of both the cam chain and the oil pump belt during the same operation?
Life span of parts are different for sure but one time you're there, I suppose the belt is not that expensive to replace.
I have spoke to someone who rebuilds mk3, 3.5 and the new chain engines in my area. I asked him about checking the oil pump. This was his initial answer on messenger. I don't know if this helps:

Hi, it’s a chain engine so pretty easy to remove the sump as the cat and exhaust are not in the way like the older belt engines, the issue you will have is if the oil pump belt has degraded you need to strip the timing chain off to remove which is a very big job, don’t just go off the condition of the pick up itself, inspect the oil pump belt thoroughly, is it a manual or an automatic?
Yes, thank you. A pain in the a** either way then.

Post by 4251 »

It’s ironic because Ford made a chain/chain version, at least with the 1.5 (early Puma ST’s) not sure about 1.0. Then they changed it again to a belt on the oil pump. Stupid!
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Maybe they found out it was too much reliable
Mattyg

Post by Mattyg »

Mk4 all had chain engines

Well that’s VERY worrying as the mk4 Focus engine is the same engine as the Puma!

[/quote]

:roll: Try getting your facts right before getting your knickers in a twist.
The mk4 Focus was released in 2018 and had the early engine wet belt ( I know this because I had one).
The new revised engine came out and went into the Puma, so it's NOT the same. :!:
[/quote]
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I think people just like worrying. Maybe just enjoy your motor while you have it, it's not like you can do anything about it other than make sure it's regularly serviced. :roll:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Roger3596

Post by Roger3596 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this as I can’t seem to start a new topic 🤔
I went into local UK Ford garage yesterday who told me that they are now putting 0W20 oil in!
Mike

Post by Mike »

i know my transit has two wet belts, ford lowered the replacement mileage from 150k to 100k , mine has just been done at 130k. Parts replaced along with the belts were sump and timing belt cover due to them warping on removal, oil pump was cleaned when the engine was apart. My belts were ok.
I am due another van shortly which is good news because mine doesn't sound great and can be a little slower to start some mornings than it used to so wondering if the timing is out slightly???

I probably wouldn't worry too much if i still had my Puma and as said as long as the oil is the correct spec and renewed at the service intervals hopefully owners won't have issues.
My cousin had a b max with a belt and had over 100k on that when sold and it had been serviced but probably not at the correct intervals.
I would think most manufacturers have some sort of issues eg BMW diesel N47 engine timing chains. older 3 cyl corsas timing chains jumped
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Roger3596

Post by Roger3596 »

I only have the wet belt on the fuel pump.
I asked if this could be replaced on the next service and was told they didn’t advise because it would be very expensive as the steel timing belt has to be be removed to change the fuel pump belt!
Any thoughts?