Steering Wheel turning thump

All Ford Puma related discussions
indigorider

Post by indigorider »

Hi,

i have a puma stline 155 since November 2020 and in mine i can feel a thump when turning the steering wheel in low gears.

To picture it better, it happens when im parked and i initiate movement while turning the wheels, i hear one or two thump, like dry knocks, like something moving is hitting something stationary. After passing to second it goes away.

Has anyone came across this?

I already had my 1st service in November 2022 where i spoke about this to the mechanic and he said it was normal and it was very common in Fiestas. Doesnt feel normal to me, though i didnt ask if he ever saw this in a puma. They checked the wheel column even greased it as they say but didnt found any problem.

I cant say precisely when this started but it wasnt here in the beguining, it doesnt compromise driving and can be barely noticeable but once you spot it i can feel it always.
ST-Line X | Desert Blue | 155 hp | 2020

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Get someone to park the car and then pull away while you listen and record any noise on your mobile. Also let the car self park and then also pull away and check if the same problem occurs. And maybe try another dealer.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Mike

Post by Mike »

It will be electric power steering i would think without me lifting my bonnet to look, doesn't sound right to me and the mechanics reply sounds more like i cannot be bothered to look( i may be wrong)
you have the same model as me and my car does many things but not that

Does it happen with the steering in the same place ( initially) every time or does it not matter which way your wheels are pointing
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Could be the dreaded steering rack problem of bolts coming adrift, sounds like it, did the mechanic check these?
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
indigorider

Post by indigorider »

@Mike the way wheels are pointing matters, example: if i turn the wheels all the way to one side while stationary and drive the thump doesnt happen. If i start driving straight and turn then theres the thump. Havent figured it if speed has anything to do with it, but turning the wheels obviously does.

Havent tested the auto parking.

@BjNthBear regarding the mechanic i dont think so, they didnt looked too much into it as they didnt had reason enough nor detected anything that justified looking further. Classic it aint broken then theres no problem. Bolts problem? i dont know what that is but ill look into it.
ST-Line X | Desert Blue | 155 hp | 2020
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

indigorider wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:47 am @BjNthBear regarding the mechanic i dont think so, they didnt looked too much into it as they didnt had reason enough nor detected anything that justified looking further. Classic it aint broken then theres no problem. Bolts problem? i dont know what that is but ill look into it.
Do a search for "steering rack" and the posts will come up, think that ford had quite a few failing due to loose and or wrongly sized bolts being used, the telltale sign is the clunking noise when turning your wheel, I would strongly suggest you get them to take a closer look at this, better still take it to another garage the mechanic might've missed a safety critical fault.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Hi, very interesting reading the comments on the steering thump. I have a 21 plate Puma ST line which in January this year developed a loud clunking noise when turning left or right at low speed. Took it to the Ford dealer, they said it was a steering rack fault, fitted a new rack and subframe in February. In the last couple of weeks the same noise has returned, it is booked in at the dealers again on Thursday. Having read all the threads it appears to be a major fault with the car. Never had a brand new car that needed steering repairs in less than three years. Watch this space for an update on thursday.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, it was a fault that affected some early models.
I can't understand why it's happening again if they fitted all they say they did....
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Came across this post after my st-line developed this fault after 7 months since taking delivery. It only occurs when stationary or slow manoeuvering and only when turning left. Took it back to my dealer who accepted there is a fault. They want it back for 2 days to strip it down completely. They were not able at the time to say what is causing it.