Adding levers to automatic without levers

All Ford Puma related discussions
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Ive got paddles on my STL X but rarely use them as it takes a while to revert back to D mode. On my Civic sport 1.5 auto when using the paddles it reverted to D mode almost immediately so no over revving, much better set up.

fletchy

Post by fletchy »

I'm probably an old school driver.
I learnt to reduce to second gear before entering roundabouts and to use the engine (in high revs) to help reduce speed instead of relying solely on the breaks (specially when going downhill).

My father has an electric Kona, and despite it's got no gears, it's got levers to adjust the amount of resistance of the regenative charging (3 levels). This actually does a pretty good job as the hardest setting is pretty strong.

Do you know if there is a way to make the regenative charging stronger?
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Timbo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:37 pm Ive got paddles on my STL X but rarely use them as it takes a while to revert back to D mode. On my Civic sport 1.5 auto when using the paddles it reverted to D mode almost immediately so no over revving, much better set up.
Apart from wanting an occasional quick downchange I rarely used the paddles in my Mercs. It would revert back to D on its own but if I pulled the up shifter and held it for a second that forced it back to D
Maybe Ford has something similar?
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

fletchy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:54 pm I'm probably an old school driver.
I learnt to reduce to second gear before entering roundabouts and to use the engine (in high revs) to help reduce speed instead of relying solely on the brakes
In that case you are too old of an old school driver. :lol:
You never want to be routinely using 'high revs' for the purpose of engine braking because this just wastes fuel.
Gears should be appropriate to engine speed and road conditions...there is no one gear fits all for roundabouts. For example there are a few roundabouts where I live where third gear is appropriate for entry, providing one does not need to stop of course. :)
UbF

Post by UbF »

LoooooooL - engine braking uses fuel? Throw some meaningful figures at me.

On a closed throttle or partial trailing throttle the electronics will pretty much shut fuel off. Revs without throttle does not equate to fuel demand. It's kinetics that are spinning the oily bits.

You'd use a tiny bit if you rev matched the downshift but it'd be absolutely minimal. After 100k miles thrashing the heck out of a Honda S2000 I can tell you that this style of driving does not consume or waste fuel.
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
DB74

Post by DB74 »

UbF wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 pm LoooooooL - engine braking uses fuel? Throw some meaningful figures at me.

On a closed throttle or partial trailing throttle the electronics will pretty much shut fuel off. Revs without throttle does not equate to fuel demand. It's kinetics that are spinning the oily bits.

You'd use a tiny bit if you rev matched the downshift but it'd be absolutely minimal. After 100k miles thrashing the heck out of a Honda S2000 I can tell you that this style of driving does not consume or waste fuel.
Agreed, I use engine braking and hardly ever use the brakes, which isn't good when trying to teach your daughter how to drive. I also double clutch, which makes for a smoother change down. I think you would probably pay more money in brakes, if braking, than fuel, if engine braking.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Guys...you missed or ignored my important point about 'high revs', and if you are routinely letting your engine rev to say 5k (or higher) for the purpose of engine braking then you will be unnecessarily wasting fuel, not to mention increased wear on the clutch.
Engine braking is generally a good thing and I do it myself, but not when the engine is screaming like it would be on a race track.
Like I said before though, people drive how they drive. :)
DB74

Post by DB74 »

Sorry Ron, but it doesn't matter what the revs are as modern cars do not use any petrol if not using the accelerator.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.