Towbar electrical issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
kosterific

Post by kosterific »

Dear all,

Luckily there is a dedicated New Puma forum because I'm in desperate need of some advice!

My father owns a 2020 Puma ST-Line. He wanted a towbar so I fitted a aftermarket one for him. Everything went flawless but I can't get the lights to work.

At first he brought it to a dealer and they couldn't find what to do. I thought it needed some programming work done. I own a different brand and after fitting my towbar I could program the towbar and everything works.
I downloaded Forscan and bought the vlinker fs cable. Found some information about what to program and in which module.

Yesterday I finally programmed everything but still no lights :roll: after some measuring I came to the conclusion that the aftermarket TRM module does not get any power. The Puma had the OEM connectors in the back, so no need to put in extra cables. On the 2 pole grey connector (which should be +30) I get no power. The fuse in the front fuse box (engine room) has not blown.

Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm trying to locate a wiring diagram but no luck. I've read on a german forum that there might be a cable missing from the front to the fuse box. But can't find anymore information about it.

Thanks for the help!

Deleted User 2121

Post by Deleted User 2121 »

Wiring up for Tow Bars can be a night mare on modern vehicles with a canbus. I am not familiar with the Puma but have wired MK2/2.5 Kuga's and I am afraid the only safe bet is to use the correct Ford Part Number both for the wiring loom and module. This I am presuming there are such parts for the Puma. In the fuse list under bonnet fuse 43 40amp is there for the trailer module so there is a possibility there are the take off points for both the 12 volt supply and the data link in the vehicle loom, but do not count on it if its like the Kuga some vehicles have it some do not. That is why you should only use Ford parts. Also it is not advised to use scotch lock connectors on modern vehicles into the vehicle wiring loom.
Other than then the above cannot advise anything else on what you have used in your installation.
Deleted User 2121

Apologies I read your post very quickly and glossed over some of the things you already have in the vehicle concerned. Anyway for your information I have looked in the UK Ford Shop and the Ford parts that are required to fit an after market Tow Bar are the Module Pt No 2264297, Harness Pt No 2455074. and possibly an Adaptor Pt No 2425234 (additional wiring harness without handover connector) mentions lights but not sure what handover connector means but says talk to dealer. Please check with dealer all this just incase I have miss quoted any parts numbers etc.
kosterific

Post by kosterific »

Hi Farmer,

Thanks for your replies! Yes, just to be clear. The Puma has the 2 OEM connectors in the back. The CAN and power connector for TRM module. So according to the aftermarket manual I only had to plug in their corresponding loom and module. But now I don't have power on the module. The fuse location 43 is changed to 40A and did not blow. So my thought is that there is some piece of wire missing or you need to turn that power on/off with Forscan.
Deleted User 2121

Was the fuse present in 43 or did you have to put a fuse in? Also if you have removed the fuse to check it has not blown you must have seen two terminals for the fuse. Have you checked with a volt meter there is 12 volts at the fuse? Also check that the 12 volt OE terminal has 12 volts? I am saying all this because of my experience with the Kuga. The MK 2/2.5 Kuga's used to come with some all set up with OE terminals some not and the easy thing was to check if the fuse had been fitted and when not there was only one terminal in the fuse box hence no supply and you had to use the Ford kit to wire eveything. The only other suggestion is to ask you dealer why Ford are selling the aditional harness adaptor 2425234 is that what you need. Other than that I am confused.
kosterific

Post by kosterific »

Yes, fuse was present. According to the manual I changed it from 20A to 40A. There were 2 terminals present, i did not measure the voltage. It's also quite hard to do because you have to disconnect and take out the fusebox to be able to change or check the fuse.
kosterific

Post by kosterific »

I checked partnumber 2425234 and it seems to me as the cables/connectors that are already present in my fathers Puma. So strange...
Deleted User 2121

Did you check for 12 volts at the live terminal? If 12volts are there then I cannot think of anything else that can cause your issue. As a side issue on a Kuga using the Ford parts when all is fully fited the trailor lights work before the system is set up.
Maty87

Post by Maty87 »

hi im lookling at adding towbar electreics to my puma 2023 build i noticed i have the power and canbuss connector in my boot so looks like all i need is the module and cable loom with the socket on does it require programing to the car or would it be plug and play as i already have half of it installed???

tia