Saving power warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Rogue2

Post by Rogue2 »

I had mine checked yesterday & was told that everything was running normally, so I will monitor it & if it gets worse they can look at it again.
Ford Puma ST-Line design 125 , Solar Silver

Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

The battery saving mode is normal when your battery is in need of a bit of charge. It usually goes when you have had a drive.

Deep Sleep is different and should only happen when the car has been stood a while. Mine takes about 15 days of inactivity to trigger it.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
EggsNBacon

Post by EggsNBacon »

Assume that is what has happened to mine, went to get into it today and it wouldn't unlock. had to get the T-key out of the fob to open the door. Once in couldn''t start the engine nothing lit up either, everything completely dead. Assume this is the deep sleep mode?

Not planning a drive of any distance till Saturday, so will call the Ford Assist/AA out on the morning of Saturday, so once they get it going, will be abe to drive it some distance to check everything is working as it should. As with another frigid night forecast tonight, it'll probably just switch off again after a battery charge.

Hopefully nothing more serious and just the main battery not enjoying the cold weather, but would hope it would have lasted more than 20 months before going flat. Anyone new if the battery has a warranty on a new Puma?
Ford Puma ST-LINE MHEV 1.0L EcoBoost 125PS mHEV Petrol - Agate Black
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

It’s pretty standard in winter months if you do short journeys or don’t use the car for a few days. My Focus never showed the warning but would switch off the radio and screen after about 15 minutes. Standard stuff.

When you should start to worry, like I did, is when the car continually goes into deep sleep. At that point you know there is an issue.

When that happened I got onto Ford and they had three goes at updating software and charging the battery but each time it came back. In the end I got a new Varta battery and it’s never been in deep sleep unless I park up for 14 days plus. It’s never failed to start.

Sometimes I think the car gives us a bit too much info. I never bothered when my Focus switched off the radio but when the Puma tells me it’s doing it feels different somehow.

Maybe just charge it a few times over the winter. The car does take a lot out of the 12v battery and they aren’t as powerful as they used to be.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

pabloh wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:08 pm I've had the dreaded warning popping up for as long as I can remember. The car never failed to start for me though until Monday last week when I came out to find it completely dead. The AA came out, got it started and checked it over. They found a 1-1.4 amp battery drain with the ignition off and the car locked. Took it to the dealer yesterday and got it back this morning. They have replaced the BCM under warranty and run software updates (even though none were available via the Ford website which suggests they have access to more). Hopefully, it has resolved the issue. So far so good but we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. Time will tell.
Interesting that some have had issues with the glove box light not going off when they shut the lid. How much power will that take I wonder?

I tried to check mine last night but could not ascertain wether it was off or on. I’m assuming it’s off but if I leave the car a couple of days, even after a log journey, I get the power save warning and the weedy sounding beepers. I might just tape it up and see if it makes any difference.

Also interesting that new models don’t seem to have that light.
pabloh

Post by pabloh »

Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:18 pm
pabloh wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:08 pm I've had the dreaded warning popping up for as long as I can remember. The car never failed to start for me though until Monday last week when I came out to find it completely dead. The AA came out, got it started and checked it over. They found a 1-1.4 amp battery drain with the ignition off and the car locked. Took it to the dealer yesterday and got it back this morning. They have replaced the BCM under warranty and run software updates (even though none were available via the Ford website which suggests they have access to more). Hopefully, it has resolved the issue. So far so good but we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. Time will tell.
Interesting that some have had issues with the glove box light not going off when they shut the lid. How much power will that take I wonder?

I tried to check mine last night but could not ascertain wether it was off or on. I’m assuming it’s off but if I leave the car a couple of days, even after a log journey, I get the power save warning and the weedy sounding beepers. I might just tape it up and see if it makes any difference.

So far, so good. I’ve not had the message since the BCM was replaced
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

pabloh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm
Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:18 pm

So far, so good. I’ve not had the message since the BCM was replaced
Good news. It might raise its head after a couple of weeks if the battery was charged. Hope not 🤞
Pbirdman

Post by Pbirdman »

I thought when it goes in deep sleep mode you just need to unlock it with the remote to wake it up again

Must have been a battery issue rather than deep sleep
Ford Puma Vignale Magnetic 155bhp Manuel - Panoramic Roof + Drivers Pack + Power Tailgate + Spare Tyre
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Pbirdman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:29 pm I thought when it goes in deep sleep mode you just need to unlock it with the remote to wake it up again

Must have been a battery issue rather than deep sleep
My car certainly unlocked with the remote after I’d been away for four weeks, twice. The car went into deep sleep around day 14.

Sounds like your battery or some software caused your car to die.