1.0 123ps Ecoboost teardown

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Just watched this on Youtube

So disclaimer.... this is the earlier version of the 1.0 Ecoboost as fitted to the Fiesta and Focus. Also the person making the video has no idea how many miles the engine had done. I think that variant was introduced around 2012 so it could be quite high mileage. In the video it clearly shows the two "wet belts", one for the cam drive and the other for the oil pump. It looks like the oil pump belt has stripped most of its teeth. The cam belt is intact but looks pretty degraded but as I said, we don't know the mileage or service history. Its an American video, the engine having come from a Ford Ecosport but I recognise the engine from when I had my Fiestas. Worth a watch. I wish we knew categorically what the belt system is on our Puma engines. I guess we will find out soon as they become more popular and someone strips one down.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

100,000 mile plus cars are extremely common in the US. Without that information the video is not that informative as to the reliability.
that said he didn't think it was high mileage because it was clean???
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Got me surfing a bit and found something a mechanic uploaded, he got it from Autodata and he reckons that the Puma, all variants, has a chain.

301403310_10161938227283275_3973099616793895210_n.jpg

Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

That's good to see. Having owned both the Fiesta and the Puma in 123ps guise, I can see that they are different, particularly around the cambelt side of the engine. What the diagram above doesn't show is the oil pump drive. Is it also chain or is it still wet belt?
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I guess they see chains.

IMG_2232.png

Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
steve a

Post by steve a »

The eco boost engine was radically changed in 2020 so the video isn't really that relevant to the Puma's.
The older engine was "wet belt" which suffered when the engine wasn't maintained correctly,
old oil would cause the belt to brake up blocking the oil pump etc with obvious results.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

steve a wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:15 am The eco boost engine was radically changed in 2020 so the video isn't really that relevant to the Puma's.
The older engine was "wet belt" which suffered when the engine wasn't maintained correctly,
old oil would cause the belt to brake up blocking the oil pump etc with obvious results.
I did state that in the original post.
Mike

Post by Mike »

i have a cousin who had the 123 wet belt engine, serviced regularly and with over 100000 miles on the clock no issues, just traded it in.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
steve a

Post by steve a »

Mike wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:21 am i have a cousin who had the 123 wet belt engine, serviced regularly and with over 100000 miles on the clock no issues, just traded it in.
These engines are tested to destruction by Ford, the problem normally comes when the servicing isn't done.
I don't think it's really fair to criticise an engine of unknown origin, all you can definitely say for sure is yes it's broken, but we can't be sure what caused it to brake?
There's plenty youtube tear down's on different engines, they just what you to click on them so they get more money, it's not really relevant to the Puma.
The wet belt has been replaced with chain since 2020.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

A young guy in my work has just bought a 2016 Fiesta 1 litre.
He knows I have a new Puma ST so he asked me if I have a 'wet belt" which I wasnt sure how to respond, but now I can confidently tell him I dont because its a chain. :D
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.