New puma died

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

ejp26 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Doodle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:48 pm
ejp26 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:43 pm We had a C-Max some years ago when we needed to get our girls up and down to uni, and it was really reliable (other than the upholstery but that's a different story!) Ford haven't got where they are today by selling rubbish cars so hopefully this is a glitch they will get over.What I don't get is this was last year's Car of the Year.....so some of them must have been doing the rounds for a while now with no problems. Also people who are quite happy with their cars don't tend to post that on the forum and Facebook pages, it's only when things go wrong!
Absolutely.. im sure it will be resolved as soon as. Just odd that a halt notice has also just been issued yet the dealers claim to not know the reason. Although I don't really believe them..
Time will tell, but that doesn't help you much!
:shock: 8-)

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Doesn't sound good. This charge system service now message came whilst you were driving? I guess you were then just driving with whatever charge was left in the 12 volt battery. How long were you able to drive before the car died?
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Chocky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:27 am Doesn't sound good. This charge system service now message came whilst you were driving? I guess you were then just driving with whatever charge was left in the 12 volt battery. How long were you able to drive before the car died?
Guess approx 20 miles. It came on on way home from work.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

That fits then. You basically sucked the 12 volt battery dry! Any tips from the dealer if it happens again?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

That would mean an alternator/generator fault? Neither the 48v or 12v systems were charging
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Wdf76 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:01 am That would mean an alternator/generator fault? Neither the 48v or 12v systems were charging
They basically said that the hybrid battery wasn't talking to the car, pcm, and charging so they've updated the software band apparently bits all good to go

Just sounds rather random. I understand yhings happen but...
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

You said in the recall thread "It came up the day before that the recharge system required a service and then the car showed a message saying engine running due to battery charging. Next day on way to work. Car went in to saver mode, turned off all electrical stuff. Things like abs shut off check brakes etc..."

Seems like you had this message at least 3 times but continued to use the car regardless. You're braver than me my friend :)
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Chocky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:59 pm You said in the recall thread "It came up the day before that the recharge system required a service and then the car showed a message saying engine running due to battery charging. Next day on way to work. Car went in to saver mode, turned off all electrical stuff. Things like abs shut off check brakes etc..."

Seems like you had this message at least 3 times but continued to use the car regardless. You're braver than me my friend :)
Chocky, my mistake-

Firstly the only Ford I'd drive is a proper Adult Raptor, not the baby UK version, or an RS200.... :shock: 8-)

secondly:-

- "System recharge service" came up driving home, System required a service, its 1200 miles old!
- She parked it on the drive and when i got in from work i started it and it just had the message "engine on for charging battery" and thats it.
- Email was sent to Ford.
- She started it fine the next day and on the way to work two miles out it shut down in succession as i described.

Sorry don't expect it to happen less than 30 day old car to me..( call me old fashioned!)

Ford have no said that they have resolved it by installing new software to the pcm as the hybrid battery was not talking to the rest of the car and wasn't charging.

Ford today also denied that there was a new halt on sales and test drives on the Puma- aside from the fact there's an overheating issue with the battery.

Fords or at least this dealerships lack of professionalism to rectify and sort the issue out, even sort out a loan/courtesy car is astounding.

As far as I'm concerned it will be taken back and traded in asap- back to a normal petrol car for her i think.

theres more i expect...
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

There is a power train software mod that shows up on my ETIS report, I’m wondering if this is what they’re referring to?
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Wdf76 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:01 am That would mean an alternator/generator fault? Neither the 48v or 12v systems were charging
We can't tell. All we know is the hybrid system broke and the 12 volt battery was no longer being charged. It seems it might have recovered when the "engine on for charging battery" message came, but failed again the next morning and this time flattened the battery completely.

Fingers crossed it's now fixed for you Doodle :D