Sync software update !!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

denty1964 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 pm What difference does it make...do we have to do the update?
It's not compulsory...I'm willing to bet that there area few thousand owners out there that have no clue it's even a thing.
If you want your system to work to it's full potential then it's advisable to do it.
IMO it's pointless having the tech if it's not kept up to date and to be honest, it's not difficult.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Sync 3.4 22110 and F11 maps installed satis.
I did the sync update using a 32gb usb drive and confirmed that via the .XML file.
For the Maps update I decided to try the OTA WiFi update option... Wasn't convinced it would work. But then having made sure my ST was connected to my house Wifi. In the general settings option in Sync I selected 'check for software updates' via the screen. (No USB drive necessary and no engine running)
Hey presto it started to download.
Car locked and l left Sync to auto power down, I went indoors to watch TV and left my ST to do it's magic.
Slow process but after around 4hrs or so (I didn't time it) I later checked my car, pressed the 'on' button on Sync, 'Lo and Behold', oh yes F11 Maps install was reported as complete.
OMG - how good is that. No driving about for hours and no waste of time and fuel. Perfect.
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Rays1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:06 am Sync 3.4 22110 and F11 maps installed satis.
I did the sync update using a 32gb usb drive and confirmed that via the .XML file.
For the Maps update I decided to try the OTA WiFi update option... Wasn't convinced it would work. But then having made sure my ST was connected to my house Wifi. In the general settings option in Sync I selected 'check for software updates' via the screen. (No USB drive necessary and no engine running)
Car locked and l left Sync to auto power down, I went indoors to watch TV and left my ST to do it's magic.
Slow process but after around 4hrs or so (I didn't time it) I later checked my car, pressed the 'on' button on Sync, 'Lo and Behold', oh yes F11 Maps install was reported as complete.
OMG - how good is that. No driving about for hours and no waste of time and fuel. Perfect.
Did you leave the engine running whilst downloading?
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Rays1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:06 am Sync 3.4 22110 and F11 maps installed satis.

You should be aware that it reports F11 on the about Sync page when you start the install and doesn't mean it has finished. Did you get the Software complete and key cycle messages? Has the map update on the Web page changed to up to date? Another check is to run the check for software updates again, if it starts downloading another file then it is not complete.
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Sparks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:54 pm
denty1964 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 pm What difference does it make...do we have to do the update?
It's not compulsory...I'm willing to bet that there area few thousand owners out there that have no clue it's even a thing.
If you want your system to work to it's full potential then it's advisable to do it.
IMO it's pointless having the tech if it's not kept up to date and to be honest, it's not difficult.
IMO - it makes no difference if the maps are updated or not. The car will still work. The engine will still run etc etc. The maps will, obviously, be out of date but there are other map apps out there - Google Maps or Waze for example. The Sync system will still work.

Uploading it CAN be difficult and time-consuming. People are already experiencing problems and it's going to take at least 2 hours.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Curryhouse wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:52 am
Sparks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:54 pm
IMO - it makes no difference if the maps are updated or not. The car will still work. The engine will still run etc etc. The maps will, obviously, be out of date but there are other map apps out there - Google Maps or Waze for example. The Sync system will still work.

Uploading it CAN be difficult and time-consuming. People are already experiencing problems and it's going to take at least 2 hours.
This update doesn't take 2 hours, 20 mins max and the Maps are being done via WiFi, so not really taking any of my time.
Stevep999

Post by Stevep999 »

anyone able to get the log file to upload. I keep getting error, try again
Full fat ST in Magnetic, DAP, Performance pack, panorama & tailgate :-) - ordered end of March delivered end of May LOVE IT

PUMA ST-X Plus First Edition Plus in Agate Black with comfort pack :-) retired June 2022
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Stevep999 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 am anyone able to get the log file to upload. I keep getting error, try again
Yep, went straight up....Some have taken a few tries.
DesertIslandBlue

Post by DesertIslandBlue »

Stevep999 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 am anyone able to get the log file to upload. I keep getting error, try again
From the Ford Sync update troubleshooting page (You'll find it on the page where you downloaded the sync update, towards the bottom click on Troubleshooting):

Having trouble getting a log file generated for your SYNC 3 update? Please follow below steps:
Download this package (ZIP 47KB) and extract it on a USB stick (the USB stick needs to in ex-fat format)
Enter your vehicle and switch on the engine
When Sync 3 is fully loaded, insert the USB stick
Wait until an “installation complete” message appears (it may take approximately 1 minute). This should now have produced a new log file
Return to your PC and complete your update by uploading the log file onto the Ford website
ST Line X mHEV 125 Desert Island Blue DAP+CP+HFPT
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

I had a similar error as like as Lightfoot, please prepare a cup of tea for me too :)
I don't know if it was the hd falling down that caused a corruption on the file writing process...
Then I had to plug it again.
Then after a while the error message went out.
I'll try again..
I hope not to see any other errors