Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Smartin

Post by Smartin »

My Dad’s Puma has recently been showing us the Deep Sleep, remote features are being shut down to preserve battery, but don’t worry messages for the last couple of weeks. Stop/start system hasn’t worked for months - can’t blame it on the cold weather any more😄.

Want to try charging the battery. I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 that I use to top up the AGM type battery in my car, but not sure whether the Puma battery is an AGM type or need to put the charger in standard mode.

The battery is (I assume, because it says ROM on it) a Rombat and there is no information on the battery mentioning AGM, the manual simply says if your car has a stop/start system you need to replace it with a battery of the same type/spec but doesn’t tell you what that spec is😵‍💫

Car is a 2020 Titanium non hybrid, if that matters.

Anyone else used this charger?

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Smartin wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:00 am Want to try charging the battery. I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 that I use to top up the AGM type battery in my car, but not sure whether the Puma battery is an AGM type or need to put the charger in standard mode.
The standard battery is not a AGM. Put your CTEK charger in standard mode, plus recon if you have that option. If start stop is not working go back to the dealer and try complaining.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Mine has reared its head again. Last used Thursday afternoon. Decent run. Also a decent run Weds.

This morning the system switched off as soon as I got in the car and the rear bleepers went quiet. Checked batter on the back system and it was 11.2v. Started engine and it showed 14.9v. After my 30 mile run it showed 12v engine off.

Something is definitely drawing power whilst it’s sat in the drive. Could it be the dash cam even though it powers off from the 12v socket?
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Just checked it at 11.9v, disconnected the dash cam. I’ll see what it is tomorrow evening when it’s been parked for 28 hours.
Smartin

Post by Smartin »

Chocky wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:56 am
Smartin wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:00 am Want to try charging the battery. I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 that I use to top up the AGM type battery in my car, but not sure whether the Puma battery is an AGM type or need to put the charger in standard mode.
The standard battery is not a AGM. Put your CTEK charger in standard mode, plus recon if you have that option. If start stop is not working go back to the dealer and try complaining.
Thanks. Will see if the stop/start comes back to life after we’ve given the battery a charge up first.

I read that you could get into a “secret” engineering mode that would display the battery voltage and got to the top level menu but didn’t know which options to choose to get it to display the battery result and didn’t want to go randomly clicking away😄, especially as it’s not my car! Standard dash display, rather than the fancier digital one, if that makes a difference
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Stoopo, I think the 12v socket stays live for 30minutes after switch off.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Rizmo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:54 pm Stoopo, I think the 12v socket stays live for 30minutes after switch off.

The dash cam switches off almost immediately but I’ll probably start unplugging it just in case. I can’t see it being the issue really as so many others are finding the same problem with the Puma.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I powered my cam through a battery pack, which is hardwired, so goes off with the ignition, mine used to get the sleep message so it can’t have been the cam, since mines been in I’ve only had the sleep message a couple of times, and it goes longer than it used to before it comes up, then an overnight charge sorts it, I can live with that
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

alanp wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:15 pm I powered my cam through a battery pack, which is hardwired, so goes off with the ignition, mine used to get the sleep message so it can’t have been the cam, since mines been in I’ve only had the sleep message a couple of times, and it goes longer than it used to before it comes up, then an overnight charge sorts it, I can live with that

We shouldn’t have to live with it though, Alan. This is 2022 and the car should be fit for purpose.

I don’t have the facilities to charge overnight. No garage and I’m not leaving the bonnet open all night on my drive.

Back onto the dealership today to see about them conditioning the battery for me next week and updating any software that needs doing.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I see what you mean but I don’t think Ford are bothered, shame really as I love the car but I’m not sure it’s enough to get another
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything