Battery fault..?

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
alanp

Post by alanp »

I’m wondering if the problems I’m having could be due to the battery, I’m getting the message, “ system off to save battery” , this might explain the problem with opening the passenger door keylessly, I do a round trip to work of about 20 miles daily, part of that on a dual carriageway, and then on a country road, I’m just wondering , with the delay of picking it up as it was sat in a compound for two months, could this have discharged the battery and therefore damaged it, I have recently had a dash cam fitted, but it has a power cut off device set at 12v, can’t remember if it did this before it was installed, I suppose I could fit my charger to keep it topped up overnight, what do others think?, anyone else getting this message?
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I would suggest you take it back to whoever fitted the dash cam Alan and tell them you've been getting a low battery warning ever since. They could at least check where they wired into and whether there's a drain with ignition off. Ford will have nothing to do with aftermarket bits fitted by a non approved third party.
alanp

Post by alanp »

The dash cam is a blackvue with power magic pro, this can be turned off, so I think I’ll do that and see what happens
2bar

Post by 2bar »

As I'm having the same problem,spoke to the senior tech at fords about it and told me that they have to check ever electrical components to see which one is draining the battery
alanp

Post by alanp »

My problem is, I can’t get into the dealers through the week as they’re not working Saturday mornings, so I’ll have to take time off
2bar

Post by 2bar »

Mine goes back to fords on wednesday for a new battery so I'll let you no if this solves the passenger door opening problem which we both have
alanp

Post by alanp »

I’ve had mine on charge overnight so I’ll see if the problem re occurs
alanp

Post by alanp »

Well, had the car on charge Sunday into Monday and everything worked ok, even unlocking from the passenger side, however this morning the, system off to save battery, was showing again, so I don’t know if it’s the dash cam, ( it does have a battery cut off voltage to prevent battery drain), something else ( alarm ?) or if it’s because it was stood for a couple of months during lockdown and the battery went completely flat and was jump started by the dealer, thinking about it, when we were collecting the car we were sat in the car going through paperwork ect, on the phone with the dealer outside the showroom, and the message came up then and cut off the phone, so we had to start the car to continue our phone conversation, so I’m not sure if to call back the auto electrician who fitted the cam, or to try and book it into a ford garage ( mine closed) any ideas anyone?
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I'd use Ford assist Alan. You have this cover for your car. At least they can test the battery to see if it has suffered permanent damage from being discharged.
alanp

Post by alanp »

But aren’t ford assist for breakdowns, would they come out for a faulty battery? Especially as I can’t prove if it’s the dash cam or not..