Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

I read on the Varta page, one can swap a AGM type over the EFB.

wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

This article suggests that EFB are suitable for "simple" stop-start systems...

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.c ... -do-i-need

...AGM otherwise.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sparks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:13 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:03 pm When at garage this morning with brakes asked if they had many battery issues generally, reply was loads across all ford cars, they think the stop, start batteries fitted and not having normal alternators is the cause???
Ford have already stated that it's a software problem....Shows how much the 'Technicians' keep on top of everything.
Could have updated mine whilst they had it this morning. I would be a happy customer now and not annoyed at the 10th message of the day after driviing over 60 miles although not all at once
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
alanp

Post by alanp »

Well mine was supposedly updated whilst it was in for the dash rattle, I don’t get the sleep message on the car’s screen now but I get it on the app, there might be some truth in the software story as the fiesta mild hybrid I had as a loan car did it, that was fitted with a varta battery
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Interesting that the stop start has been mentioned because mine was looked at on Thursday and since I got it back the stop start hasn’t worked. I’ve even tried sport mode tonight and the 48v battery is definitely charging and going blue when needed but the stop start hasn’t engaged at all.

I’ve checked the at it’s switched on on the menu and it is. Maybe tomorrow I’ll check the back screens to see it it’s been disengaged.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had messages all day, last trip put heated seats on and no more messages 🤔
Mike

Post by Mike »

BjNtheBear wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:33 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 am Anyone recommend a charger, I know ctek have been mentioned before
Mike, Amazon are doing the Noco genius 5 for £60 at the mo, the rule of thumb when picking a charger is to take 10% ah rating of your battery and that's the maximum advisory for us with 60/65ah batteries that would work out at 6amps rating (only an advisory) the Noco genius 5 has max 5 amp output.
I plumped for the ring 808, that has 4-8amp selectable outputs it came in at around £35, the ctek has overheating issues and also mode button sticking issues.
Hope this helps a little, I'm sure other peeps can give some good advice also 👍🙂

If you do decide to go for the ctek Costco have this for £89 it has the protective bumper and comfort attachment that has the traffic light LEDs also has a power bank for usb deviceScreenshot_20220305-155504_Chrome.jpg
Like the look of the ring and the obvious half the price of the Noco, Noco looks to have won awards and gets good reviews.
Noco charges at 5 amps and it looks like the ring charges at 4 or 8 amp so would give a longer charge time at 4 amp output for puma battery.
Do you know anything about buddygo chargers or Halfords ones which look similar to the ring
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

@Mike, not familiar with the buddygo or Halfords (had one many years ago), I thought about the Noco myself but already had the ring which came in at third place in an auto express group test in January, the Noco has a dedicated repair mode although I believe they've updated the instruction manual to advise when using this repair mode to disconnect the battery connections, ok for normal charging though.
Although Noco genius 5 is rated at 5amp this is the max output, this will tail off as your battery charges.👍
The Ring has a 7 stage charge and maintain cycle, I usually select the 12v 4amp and you can also select cold mode which boosts the volts x 0.2v.
Don't think you'll go far wrong with any of the chargers you're looking at 🙂👍

Should've added took mine off after 48hrs as it wasn't being used anyways, been running about all day did around 40 miles and battery reading 12.7v 100% SOC, fingers crossed 🤞
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Stoopo wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:50 pm Interesting that the stop start has been mentioned because mine was looked at on Thursday and since I got it back the stop start hasn’t worked. I’ve even tried sport mode tonight and the 48v battery is definitely charging and going blue when needed but the stop start hasn’t engaged at all.

I’ve checked the at it’s switched on on the menu and it is. Maybe tomorrow I’ll check the back screens to see it it’s been disengaged.
Give it a few more drives and see if it starts working. What work was performed? Any modules flashed?
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Chocky wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:05 am
Stoopo wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:50 pm Interesting that the stop start has been mentioned because mine was looked at on Thursday and since I got it back the stop start hasn’t worked. I’ve even tried sport mode tonight and the 48v battery is definitely charging and going blue when needed but the stop start hasn’t engaged at all.

Give it a few more drives and see if it starts working. What work was performed? Any modules flashed?
Yes they flashed every module update availability evidently. I guess the 48v just ran flat whilst in their care. It was driven back and used Friday. Last night I travelled across York in Sport to try and get some charge in it. Nothing seemed to trigger it.

When I got to the destination I toggled it off and back on the setting and lo and behold it started working on the way home.

I’ve never had it take that long to charge.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.