Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

How are you finding them? I heard the detailer spray can leave a haze after buffing, especially on darker colours. Nothing that can’t be sorted with a damp cloth then a buff though.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I've had no problems. Though it's not always easy to tell on a white car. I have learnt with these products that less is definitely more. Literally one spray per panel. I usually go over with one final pass of detailer.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Good to hear.

I’ve learnt that lesson too, the hard way with some products. That and not rushing.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Mine got a wash.

2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Looks lovely.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Thanks Neil.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Not often you see gloss black cars with no smear marks. 👍🏻
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Really nice job.

You must be using the right cloths. 😁
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Funny you should say that, I think I found out what I was doing wrong and got a much better result this time. Bad worker blaming tools etc.

I had the car Diamonbrite'd when I took delivery in October, and haven't felt it needed any more than a wash since, but wasn't sure. So I waxed one of the N/S doors (and I doubt if you can tell which one from the picture - I couldn't tell the difference), and the O/S half of the bonnet. Then I sprayed the N/S wing and the bonnet with water to see if there was any difference in beading.

As far as the wing went, I could see very little difference, maybe a 5% improvement in water resistance on the newly waxed panel. On the bonnet, again, maybe a marginal difference. However, when I wiped the bonnet over, the water did lift better from the waxed side and it dried faster.

I am quite interested in the discussion here about different polishes and waxes, and I will be honest (and prepared to get a good kicking), my bullshitometer is going at 2000 rpm. I don't mean from the people here, I mean from the clever marketing people who produce this stuff. Does adding a ceramic element really improve a shine? Really, does it? Has this been lab tested to verify the results? If not, why not? Or is it the 'New Improved Surf' which was the same old Surf with a different packet. I do wonder whether there is any real, perceived difference in finish. Feel free to call me an old cynic - I am both :D .

But ... if you assure me I will see a difference, then I am quite prepared to lash out on one of these products. There's lots on the Honest John site about this subject, and an interesting thread here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... tm?t=88706
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I think it's all down to the level of finish that you want, ease of use and longevity.

The lines have become really blurred between waxes/paste or liquid, sealant spray with sio2 or ceramic and then ceramic coating.

My own self imposed rules are as follows;

Ease of use
Level of finish
Time spent on the job
Cost

And finally not to buy or try a new product until the last one is finished.

I have moved from paste waxes to spray sealants.

But most importantly I have worked on my methods and techniques. Having super clean decontaminated paint is always the best place to start.

Your puma has diamondbrite protection at present and you want to make the most of that coating and your outlay. That rules out the use of anything abrasive (polish) until you think that the level of protection on your car has worn down. Your options are paste wax, liquid wax, spray sealant in any form so they you're adding additional protection to your paint.

With all the products I try I always end up back at Autoglym. Best finish for my budget I think.

Neil will be along shortly to put us all straight.....🤣😁😂