Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Thanks, and yes, that is why I am avoiding using a polish until I feel it needs it. I don't know how long Diamondbrite is supposed to last. I asked the dealer, and he said 'Indefinitely', and then a pig flew past the window. I live 100m from the sea (and to the north of it), and that is going to have an impact for sure.

I would just like to see a controlled test by one of the big motoring organisations or magazines on these products. Take two identical panels. Treat one with Product A and one with Product B. Then use optical equipment to measure reflectivity, and then treat the panels to simulated weathering and test again.

It surely can't be difficult? Maybe it's been done?
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black

NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Excellent advice, especially not using abrasive polish until your current protection is showing signs of degradation. How long it will last can depend on prep prior to application, your usage and where the car is stored. By the salt water sea/air I imagine would have impact.

Some people think that because the car no longer beads or sheets water, that their protection has gone when in fact the dirt/grime is sitting on the protection (which is doing its job). Sometimes all it needs is a good wash with a PH neutral pre wash and/or shampoo to clear the surface and the existing protection starts performing again. It can then be topped up with various sprays sealants, detailers, waxes etc of choice, as Wdf76 has eloquently mentioned. These act as another superficial layer. Obviously there can be application complications regarding bonding and longevity between brands and products, but for those of us that just want a clean car and happy to wash and reapply/top up regularly, I don’t think it matters.

Other than a relatively expensive and time consuming ceramic coating (which ideally requires perfectly decontaminated/prepped paintwork and application conditions such as a garage) all of the other LSP (last stage protection) offer very good levels of protection. I totally agree with ease of application and removal (inc cure time) as an important factor. Cost wise can vary and expensive isn’t always best. I think too many people get snobbish and won’t use “product A” as Halfords sell it (for example) and will only use a product sold on the dark detailers web 🙄

Whether it be carnauba , ceramic infused , Si02 based etc detailer sprays, sealants, spray wax or paste wax I think is personal choice depending on your desired outcome , whether it be short term, hydrophobic properties, high gloss, long term etc) The new buzz word is “Graphene infused”. Won’t be long before that band wagon is standing room only and the ceramic bus can’t sell a ticket!

I believe in straight forward products that do a straight forward job. Autoglym do just that. They don’t have 10 different products that do the same job. They may have products in the same bracket (ie wax) that perform roughly the same task, they have a different application process to suit the individuals needs.

I am guilty of buying different branded products whilst still having surplus supply of other brands (just to give them a go, especially with more time during lockdown). This must stop 😆

Whilst my experience in lots of brands is limited, my default is Autoglym whereas I know some won’t touch them because they aren’t a niche brand that only those in the secret detailing fraternity are aware of. I’ve not used a bad product of theirs. However, through trial and error I’ve found some other branded products that I prefer over Autoglym for specific tasks, but if I had to choose one brand it’s Autoglym.

I have a really good detailing retailer near me that sells dozens of brands. The guys in there are incredibly informative and helpful. They don’t push one brand over another. They listen to what you want to achieve and give options.

Another saga post....sorry 😆
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

NeilS wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am Another saga post....sorry 😆
No, not at all! Really interesting, and thanks for taking the time.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

NeilS wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am Another saga post....sorry 😆
Far from it. It's an epic post loaded with info. I'm happy to admit I've learnt from you. Thank you. 😁👍
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Cheers guys.

I am known for using 1000 words when 100 would do 😆
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Always a good and informative read Neil, thanks :thumbsup:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Which drying towel is best, I have a water filter for final rinse which doesn’t leave marks when the car has dried but wanting a good towel, used to have a cheap one which I thought was getting past it’s best so purchased a meguiars towel which seams to smear rather than dry and wasn’t cheap so a little disappointed.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The hand car wash by me is open again from tomorrow.............Happy days.. :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

DI vessels/filters are great for preventing water spotting and not having to make unnecessary contact and letting nature take its course, however no good if you want a dry car to apply an LSP.

You can spend silly money on drying towels, Korean twisted loop etc. I prefer to have a few mid range towels, as opposed to one expensive one, especially if you drop it or get grit in the pile.

I’m currently using Martin Cox Giant Miracle drying towels. I’m sure these are generic as other brands all seem to be the same, blue with either a red or blue edging. Reasonably priced between £6-7 depending on where you look. Do a good job. I can get round the car with one towel without having to break out another but I always use a different towel for the lower sections. They wash up well (use liquid detergent over powder and no fabric softener/conditioner) and left to dry naturally on an airer. I’ve never tumble dried my cloths.

Autoglym’s Hi Tech microfibre is also very good. Will easily do an entire car and can be wrung out accordingly. I used mine with caution as it has a short pile and I found it easy to snag on those more intricate areas, but perhaps I wasn’t taking enough care around those areas.

A lightly dampened towel is better than a bone dry one. As such, I do the windows first.
Last edited by NeilS on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Sparks wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:59 pm The hand car wash by me is open again from tomorrow.............Happy days.. :D

😱😱😱😱

😆