Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Poor boys is good stuff.

I suggested polishing to try and remove the marks, not as part of a routine. Apologies if that’s how it came across.

If you already have Polar Seal, that can also be sprayed on wheels, just make sure you rinse thoroughly and dry to avoid water spotting or leaving any product on as it’ll leave little white spots. It won’t be as durable as a dedicated wheel sealant though. I’ve also applied Extra Gloss protection which worked well.

I’m currently using an SiO2 based detailer spray to see how that performs.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

NeilS, I went back to the wheel refurb shop and the owner inspected the alloy and thought it wasn't worth the money or the effort to fix the problem . Just live with it he said. He could have taken me for£80. I showed him the Poor Boys and his opinion is expensive and not necessary. Also keep away from all polishes as they can't enhance the satin finish. Maybe ok to use a protector but again not necessary. Keep the wheels clean and best to use a pressure washer and go for the caliper first. that's where most of the crap starts from. I'm not totally convinced and I value your comments as always.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Evening Rizmo.

It’s nice to hear the garage gave good advice and wasn’t just out for the business.

As SRP has such a minimal abrasive element, if it were used on just the affected areas and applied lightly it wouldn’t have had much of an effect to the surrounding area and it would have been evident early on if it was going to shift those marks. That said, I appreciate and agree with not using a stronger polish or compound on satin effect wheels. They’re the experts and they are right 👍🏻

I’d always use some form of sealant or wax etc on my alloys. The force of a pressure washer will remove a lot of surface dirt and grime but left unprotected, brake dust, iron fallout, tar etc will end up bonding onto the surface. The temptation is to then go in closer with the pressure washer or using chemicals more often than needed. We’ve all gone in a little closer with the pressure washer lance to try and shift stubborn marks. This brings the risk of causing unnecessary damage, such as dislodging wheel balance weights.

Wheel protectors can be cheap or expensive depending on which you go for. I’m an advocate of prevention is better, easy and cheaper than the cure in the long run. I top up after every wash so don’t go for the expensive dedicated wheel sealants.

A simple spray sealant or even a detailer spray that has protection built in would be an easy process (unless the instructions say not to use on wheels) that would make maintenance easier. I can clean my alloys with the same PH neutral shampoo that I use on the paintwork and very little, sometimes nothing is left behind dirt wise after gentle agitation with my mitts and brushes. My dedicated wheel cleaning chemicals normally only get used twice a year on a deep clean unless I can see or feel something has bonded.

It’s really up to the individual as to their process and how far they want to go and how much to spend.

You may already have a product that’ll work well as a sealant. You could do a test of only sealing one wheel and comparing? The fronts always get dirtier than the rear.

Hope this helps. I’ll not judge whichever route you take and I’m always looking for opinions and advice from others so I can learn moving forward too 😄
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Thanks NeilS, think I'll go with Autoglym wheel protector. I'll leave the Poor Boys to one side for a while. Isn't Autoglym Extra gloss protection a bit of a waste on a satin finish.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I wouldn’t use Autoglym’s wheel protector on our alloys as it could stain (according to their site description)

EGP didn’t add any gloss to mine when I applied it. It’s an easy on, easy off product with decent durability. I’m currently using an Sio2 gloss detailer spray. If anything it adds a sheen, but no gloss.

If you’re unsure, next time I clean mine I’ll use EGP and post pictures for you.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I'll get some EGP. Halfords have a 3 fo 2 on Autoglym products so I'll find another two.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I wouldn’t want you to spend unnecessarily. If you’ve got Polar Seal, that can go on the wheels.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

3 for 2 on selected autoglym products Rizmo. I got caught out with that a couple of weeks ago.... 🤔
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

NeilS, I'm thinking Autoglym custom wheel clean could be my second of the three for two deal.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Wdf75, did you take a look at my post re: tailgate sensor.