Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

If you run your nail lightly over the area, does it get caught as if either something is stuck on the surface or has chipped away? - a chip being the worse case scenario!

If it’s smooth, which it looks like it might be, it’s possibly staining from something you’ve used on the wheels or an overspray from elsewhere that’s been allowed to dry. Sometimes a spray from the same product can help shift it. If you have SRP to hand, a light rub with that could help shift it (and mask some of those minor swirls).

Autoglym’s Clean wheels is on the stronger acidic side of a wheel cleaner over a PH neutral one. The rule of thumb is to always use the minimum strength and work upwards (same with polishes). Their custom wheel cleaner, combined with Magma (as and when required) would be my choice if I was using Autoglym’s range.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

NeilS, It's smooth and I can't remember what I've used previously. The staining was present before I used the Clean wheels which was today. I have the Magma although I've haven't used it so far. It's strange that the staining doesn't appear anywhere else on the wheels including this one.What is SRP and can you recommend a brand suitable for the job.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Little bit of light reading for you Rizmo. I've used custom wheel cleaner for some time now with results I'm happy with. It is an alkali rather than an acid.

For diamond cut wheels pH neutral cleaners are recommended.

Second Neil's opinion. Custom wheel cleaner and magma and sometimes tar remover as required.

Start with the lightest of polishes on the machined face.

https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2018/06/2 ... ompendium/
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some Custom wheel cleaner tomorrow.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:12 pm NeilS, It's smooth and I can't remember what I've used previously. The staining was present before I used the Clean wheels which was today. I have the Magma although I've haven't used it so far. It's strange that the staining doesn't appear anywhere else on the wheels including this one.What is SRP and can you recommend a brand suitable for the job.
Being smooth narrows it down to it being more likely that it’s some form of staining, possibly from a previous clean. If you could remember what you used on the wheels last time, it would assist. Is it possible that it was there from new and you hadn’t noticed it?

Apologies for the abbreviation. SRP is Super Resin Polish by Autoglym. It is a polish which has a very mild abrasive cut for minor swirls and mark removal, contains resins for temporarily filling those that it can’t remove whilst containing a limited level of protection. It’s great on paintwork giving colour and gloss enhancement. It is possible that it could remove those marks but I’d suggest light pressure on a test spot first.

https://www.autoglym.com/products/bodyw ... sin-polish
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Neil..... You could get paid on YouTube for all your advice😁😁
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

It could have been there from new, I don't recall seeing it until recently. I polished the car today with Autoglym super resin polish and the car looks great so I will carefully try that on the wheel tomorrow.. I'll also get some Autoglym Custom wheel cleaner.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 pm It could have been there from new, I don't recall seeing it until recently. I polished the car today with Autoglym super resin polish and the car looks great so I will carefully try that on the wheel tomorrow.. I'll also get some Autoglym Custom wheel cleaner.
Good news on already having SRP 👍🏻
Did you notice the marks before you polished or after? Could be SRP that’s splashed on there and dried, especially if the wheel was hot.
If you do polish the wheels, just do the diamond cut faces, not the black.
Wdf76 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:49 pm Neil..... You could get paid on YouTube for all your advice😁😁
Or charge for positive reviews 😆

I’m just happy to share and help where I can.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Marks were there before polishing and the wheels were cold. I'll try the custom wheel clean tomorrow.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

NeilS, I've got some Autoglym Aqua Car Wax, It's supposed to good for all surfaces.