Space saver tyre musings

The place to discuss everything else..
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Rizmo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:38 am Vendee, and replace the inflation kit.
and, not forgetting to replace the can of foam which has a life of so many years (3 or 4)...

Vendee

Post by Vendee »

So I've seen this "Puma space saver" for sale on ebay. Seller is in my town so that's handy but.....tyre is 125/90/16, which works out at 63cm diameter. This won't fit in the megabox or at least it won't lay flat in the megabox. I've just looked at photos of the proper Ford supplied spacesaver sitting in the megabox and its got a 125/70/16 tyre that works out to 58cm diameter which just fits so I guess if you want to buy a spacesaver for your Puma, you have to be careful what you are buying, particularly if you are buying from ebay where the seller states the spacesaver fits the Puma. It may well fit as a spare wheel but it won't necessarily fit in the megabox.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

pkaps wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:02 pm
Vendee wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:57 am

One option would be to buy a space saver but only carry it when driving locally when we don't need the megabox for storage, then remove it for longer trips, holidays etc when we need the megabox for other things?
The other way around, carry a spare for trips/holidays as when it happens you most probably will be on a country road or somewhere where road assistance and replacements are not an easy thing. In town you don't need to carry a spare as you get road assistance in minutes and punctures are not that common.
I've been thinking about your idea and I think its a non starter. Imagine I'm driving up to Scotland for a two week holiday. I've got my spacesaver tucked nicely into my megabox. The boot is crammed full with luggage for our two week stay. 200 miles into the drive up there, I get a puncture. I get the spacesaver out of the megabox and fit it. What am I now going to do with the standard 18" alloy and tyre? Its pretty huge and it certainly isn't going into the megabox. There's no room for it anywhere else in the car as its packed with luggage. :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Vendee wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 am So I've seen this "Puma space saver" for sale on ebay. Seller is in my town so that's handy but.....tyre is 125/90/16, which works out at 63cm diameter. This won't fit in the megabox or at least it won't lay flat in the megabox. I've just looked at photos of the proper Ford supplied spacesaver sitting in the megabox and its got a 125/70/16 tyre that works out to 58cm diameter which just fits so I guess if you want to buy a spacesaver for your Puma, you have to be careful what you are buying, particularly if you are buying from ebay where the seller states the spacesaver fits the Puma. It may well fit as a spare wheel but it won't necessarily fit in the megabox.
My Ford supplied space saver fits in the magabox but doesn’t lay flat on the bottom of the box, I am guessing when supplied with the car the box is slightly larger.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Factory fitted spare will have a plastic tray in the bottom of the megabox. Tools fit in then the spare.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Mike wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:47 pm
Vendee wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 am So I've seen this "Puma space saver" for sale on ebay. Seller is in my town so that's handy but.....tyre is 125/90/16, which works out at 63cm diameter. This won't fit in the megabox or at least it won't lay flat in the megabox. I've just looked at photos of the proper Ford supplied spacesaver sitting in the megabox and its got a 125/70/16 tyre that works out to 58cm diameter which just fits so I guess if you want to buy a spacesaver for your Puma, you have to be careful what you are buying, particularly if you are buying from ebay where the seller states the spacesaver fits the Puma. It may well fit as a spare wheel but it won't necessarily fit in the megabox.
My Ford supplied space saver fits in the magabox but doesn’t lay flat on the bottom of the box, I am guessing when supplied with the car the box is slightly larger.
I'm guessing that with the Ford supplied spacesaver, they might put a layer of foam at the bottom to accommodate the jack etc them put the wheel on top of it. As the megabox is tapered and the higher up you go there is more room and the wheel would sit flat if it was on 30mm of foam. If you look at this photo of a Ford fitted spare, you can just about see the foam under the tyre.
If it was possible to make the megabox bigger then they would have done it for everyone. Do you have a 125/70/16 on yours?
Mike

Post by Mike »

I will take a photo at the weekend and give you tyre/ wheel info.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Vendee wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:06 pm
I'm guessing that with the Ford supplied spacesaver, they might put a layer of foam at the bottom to accommodate the jack etc them put the wheel on top of it.

Here is a photo of my factory fit spare tool kit under the spare wheel.

4DB92F7E-63B6-4FF7-96EE-C1FD5061DE08.jpeg

There is a set of photos showing how the Mini Spare Wheel fits in the Mini Spare Wheel thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=300
pkaps

Post by pkaps »

Vendee wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:28 pm
Vendee wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:57 am

One option would be to buy a space saver but only carry it when driving locally when we don't need the megabox for storage, then remove it for longer trips, holidays etc when we need the megabox for other things?
The other way around, carry a spare for trips/holidays as when it happens you most probably will be on a country road or somewhere where road assistance and replacements are not an easy thing. In town you don't need to carry a spare as you get road assistance in minutes and punctures are not that common.
I've been thinking about your idea and I think its a non starter. Imagine I'm driving up to Scotland for a two week holiday. I've got my spacesaver tucked nicely into my megabox. The boot is crammed full with luggage for our two week stay. 200 miles into the drive up there, I get a puncture. I get the spacesaver out of the megabox and fit it. What am I now going to do with the standard 18" alloy and tyre? Its pretty huge and it certainly isn't going into the megabox. There's no room for it anywhere else in the car as its packed with luggage. :lol:
That's easy, you fill now the empty mega box with some luggage and every stuff you can fit in there or you can move some of the luggage on the rear seats and you carry the damaged tyre in the boot until you reach a service station and get it fixed or replaced and then you put again the spare in the mega box.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

pkaps wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:31 pm
Vendee wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:28 pm

That's easy, you fill now the empty mega box with some luggage and every stuff you can fit in there or you can move some of the luggage on the rear seats and you carry the damaged tyre in the boot until you reach a service station and get it fixed or replaced and then you put again the spare in the mega box.
That's not possible. The "luggage" isn't just stashed in the boot loosely. Its in suitcases and they don't fit in the megabox so unless I tip out the stuff from the suitcases into the megabox and leave the suitcases by the roadside..... its not a viable proposition.