Space saver tyre musings

The place to discuss everything else..
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Here is an update....16" Space Saver wheel (excluding tyre) Ford PT No. 2196364 £65.44 + vat.
Just checked with a mate at National Tyres. If you use an inflation kit on any tyre punchered or not it cannot be repaired. Reason the inflation kit chemicals used to temp seal a puncher doesnt allow for a good bond when trying to plug and repair it. Basically it would be an unsafe repair.
Last edited by Rays1 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I purchased the wheel jack etc from Ford for 150.00 , I didn’t order it when I purchased the car because I got one from uk stock.
Used the tyre inflation kit once on my van, put it in , blew the tyre up etc and drove it , parked up and the sealant was all over the wheel arch of my van, it was useful to locate the hole which I then put a screw in to stop it leaking , also the Ford replacement sealant was £53.00..

I know it has been talked about before but does the space saver fit an ST
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

Rays1 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:19 pm has anybody actually found a suitable spacer saver for those of us with 19" alloy's?
A copy of my reply to an older thread about space savers...

Hi guys, I've recently bought my Puma and checked around for a spare. The part number for the Ford 16” space saver wheel is JX7C 1015 BAA (that particular part number is also used on the Grand C-Max 2015-2019, and the Focus 2018 onwards, according to a helpful Ford parts guy). When fitted with a 125/70/16 tyre it just fits in my boot box (which measures approx 60cm square). The wheel centre hole doesn't line up with the drain in the box tho, so I'll need to find a solution to hold it in place. My car has 19” wheels so the space saver is quite a bit smaller, but I've test fitted it to the front and it goes over the brake callipers no problem. Hope this helps 🙂
Mike

Post by Mike »

Alan321 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:29 pm
Rays1 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:19 pm has anybody actually found a suitable spacer saver for those of us with 19" alloy's?

Hi guys, I've recently bought my Puma and checked around for a spare. The part number for the Ford 16” space saver wheel is JX7C 1015 BAA (that particular part number is also used on the Grand C-Max 2015-2019, and the Focus 2018 onwards, according to a helpful Ford parts guy). When fitted with a 125/70/16 tyre it just fits in my boot box (which measures approx 60cm square). The wheel centre hole doesn't line up with the drain in the box tho, so I'll need to find a solution to hold it in place. My car has 19” wheels so the space saver is quite a bit smaller, but I've test fitted it to the front and it goes over the brake callipers no problem. Hope this helps 🙂
Thanks it does, my spare just sits in the mega box.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
pkaps

Post by pkaps »

Vendee wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:57 am

One option would be to buy a space saver but only carry it when driving locally when we don't need the megabox for storage, then remove it for longer trips, holidays etc when we need the megabox for other things?
The other way around, carry a spare for trips/holidays as when it happens you most probably will be on a country road or somewhere where road assistance and replacements are not an easy thing. In town you don't need to carry a spare as you get road assistance in minutes and punctures are not that common.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Alan321 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:29 pm

Brilliant thanks for that..good to know it fits
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

So, given the costs involved for a space saver, plus a jack, compared to destroying a tyre with an inflation kit, there does not seem to be much difference.
I think I'll just stick with the inflation kit, and Green Flag !
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Wowzz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:12 am So, given the costs involved for a space saver, plus a jack, compared to destroying a tyre with an inflation kit, there does not seem to be much difference.
I think I'll just stick with the inflation kit, and Green Flag !
Not so sure about the cost analysis. I can pick up a space saver currently for £29 (one off expense for the life of the car). Cost of repairing puncture circa £30. Cost of replacing a foamed up tyre, £140 for my 18" wheels.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Vendee, and replace the inflation kit.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Why are so many people praising the fact that Ford assist is provided free with a service and yet don't seem keen to use them? :D
The AA (Ford Assist) have a great puncture repair solution, for most cases, that's good for 500 miles at 65mph. Much better than the putting the gloop into the tyre and ruining it.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.