Space saver tyre musings

The place to discuss everything else..
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Back in 2005 I bought a Focus 2.0 TDCI and it came with a space saver as standard. I kept that car 10 years and put 175k miles on it (nice car...totally reliable...comfy and quick). In those 175k miles I think I had to use the space saver 3 times. Then in 2013 my wife bought a Fiesta which only had the emergency inflation kit so I bought a cheap space saver off ebay. When I replaced my Focus with the same model of Fiesta as my wife in 2016, I bought a space saver for that too.

As I was waiting for my Puma to arrive, I started looking on ebay for a suitable space saver but when the car arrived and I started to appreciate how big that megabox is, I started to think what a shame it would be to fill it with a spare tyre. Although I used the space saver 3 times on the Focus with the high mileage I was driving, my wife and I have never had to use the ones that I bought for the Fiesta. As those don't fit the Puma, I left them in the car when trading them in.

So now we are retired, I'm thinking that as we won't be doing more than 10k per year, do I really need a space saver? One option would be to buy a space saver but only carry it when driving locally when we don't need the megabox for storage, then remove it for longer trips, holidays etc when we need the megabox for other things? I've never had to use an emergency foam inflation kit before so I don't know how effective they are. I know they won't work if you have a large gash in the sidewall for example. I also know that you can't really have a plug repair in the tyre if you have covered the inside with foam. I'd love to hear your thoughts and your experiences with the inflation kit 8-)
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

R-JACKO

Post by R-JACKO »

Hello Vendee
I'm in the same situation as you.
I think having a spare is peace of mind.I've only had one car before the Puma which had the inflation kit and that was my C MAX and never used it.I am thinking of buying one.
microbe

Post by microbe »

I have had a spare in every car I have owned in the 53 years I have been driving. I have never used one but still got a spare for my Puma even though mileage is less than 5,000 a year.
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021
w36613

Post by w36613 »

Inflation kits will only work on certain punctures, typically nail/screws. Hitting a pothole or kerb can cause a split in the sidewall that cannot be repaired.

On the plus, most breakdown services will have a space saver that they can fit and follow you to the nearest tyre shop.

On the minus side, my son ripped the sidewall on his tyre, in the rain, when it was dark on Christmas evening (7:30pm) when nothing was open for 4 days. Having a space saver in the car or even at home would have saved a lot of hassle........
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

That's what Ford Assist is for....Even if I had a spare, could I really be arsed to struggle in the pouring rain at the side of a motorway..........Hell no! :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
D6VEB.

Post by D6VEB. »

Space Saver fitted underneath the cover, lying flat and to the right with the little jack kit inside the wheel.
This still allows me the mega box use, when needed, but gives me peace of mind when travelling.
It fits nicely with the cover resting on the wheel with no problems.
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

Sorry to ask probably some stupid questions, but how much would a space saver typically cost ? I presume I would also need to buy a jack ?
And finally, would I buy through a Ford dealer ?
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Tyre inflation kits are okay when they work. But usually the tyre is destroy when used.
So my opinion is avoid using any form of inflation kit if at all possible.
However and whilst a space saver is good bet it obviously takes up room. So no true win either way.
Plus it very much depends on what wheel size and tyre type you have.
Correct me if I am wrong but has anybody actually found a suitable spacer saver for those of us with 19" alloy's? I do wonder!
The problem is amplified if you have the more expensive low profile tyre type, if using the inflation kit you would be throwing good money down the drain. Worse if you have the 19" Pilot Sport 4s not only are they dam expensive but it's a nightmare to find a dealer who has exactly the right type in stock. I have an original ST spare+tyre as a spare. So on a long journey it comes with me, a real pain but necessary I think.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Wowzz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:10 pm Sorry to ask probably some stupid questions, but how much would a space saver typically cost ? I presume I would also need to buy a jack ?

Factory Fit £150. You can see mine under my old user name Deleted User 229. You should be able to pick one up off eBay second hand for about £55.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=300
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

lightfoot wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:28 pm
Wowzz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:10 pm Sorry to ask probably some stupid questions, but how much would a space saver typically cost ? I presume I would also need to buy a jack ?

Factory Fit £150. You can see mine under my old user name Deleted User 229. You should be able to pick one up off eBay second hand for about £55.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=300
Thanks.
Touch wood, I haven't had a puncture for 25 years, but this discussion has got me thinking!
Titanium 125, Solar Silver