Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
STer

Post by STer »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:57 pm My Puma is now sold to a dealer in lieu of a new Puma which is on order. When my car was valued I was given three possible options. Showroom condition, average condition and below average condition. Quite a difference between all three, so it does pay to look after your vehicle.
What were the differences, given you didn't mention the actual values?

Like a job advert, I'm always suspect of a salary which says 'competitive'? If it was so good, why don't they just say the salary.
I've personally never went 'wow' at a dealership on a price 'upgrade' upon looking at my car, maintained with almost obsessional methods.

STer

Post by STer »

NeilS wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:45 pm I put in the effort into my cars because that’s what I want to do, I enjoy it and I like a clean car.

I don’t give any consideration as to what it’ll fetch or who will appreciate my effort when it comes to pass it on whether part ex or private sale. However for sellers like me, there’s possibly a buyer who will pick my car over one covered in swirls and marring.
Agreed. It's a personal hobby thing. And you're right about it being something someone would choose if they viewed it (privately) if you put it for sale. Like a well decorated and presented house. Don't do much for the actual price but helps sell it.
A dealer part X would probably result in getting 'rewarded' about 1p per hour of work put in.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

STer. there's nothing suspicious about those offers. The difference between showroom and average was £900 and between average and below average was £950. So that's £1850 difference best to worst. Part exchange was not mentioned, these being straight cash offers.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
STer

Post by STer »

Rizmo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 am STer. there's nothing suspicious about those offers. The difference between showroom and average was £900 and between average and below average was £950. So that's £1850 difference best to worst. Part exchange was not mentioned, these being straight cash offers.
Yes, £1,850 is a great difference, granted. Although I'm surprised a 'good condition' category isn't included, as there's a chasm of difference between 'average' and 'showroom'.

However, that is for a particular dealer and not a generic situation and, importantly, it'd be interesting to know what a 'Webuyany' car price would have gave (if you tried beforehand), and compared it to that. A family member got a Mazda 3 the other week and got a 'great' used price (so he was told) due to its A grade condition. I bunged the reg into webuy and the 'great' price they offered due its A grade condition was £300 less than webuy. Not saying webuy wouldn't perform all sorts of circus tricks to reduce it, but it gives a starting barometer. So I wonder if the dealership you went to offered, say, a grand MORE for 'showroom consideration' than what webuy offered.....
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

sinlessUK wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am
Mike wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:22 pm
BjNtheBear wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am Thought I'd take advantage of the cooler weather yesterday and waxed the car using Simonize....boy what a mistake, this stuff grabs your cloth off you and slaps you across the chops, took me hours, never again, while the water repellency is great the tins heading for the bin.
Ordering some B&H DSW as seen auto express awards, looks much better for just a few pounds more. 😀

Where do you purchase the b &h dsw stuff from?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253791790169 plus a few pence off if you go via https://tinyurl.com/y44r939x
That's funny, I ordered from agw automotive via Amazon (didn't read their reviews before, my bad) was given an imaginary dispatch and tracking number, never materialised, so I found ricsardetailing on eBay, reordered and just been dispatched, hopefully get it next week just in time for the weather turning 👍👎
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

The deal I was offered was from a Ford franchise. I got exactly the same showroom condition offer from a Vauxhall dealer. One viewed the car the other looked at pictures. As I said my car was not a part-ex.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Just had my first attempt at pre wash snow foaming

I was shooting it everywhere trying to get it on the roof so will make sure I have a stool to stand on next time!

Biggest problem was that while washing it the sun came out at just the wrong time and started drying it before I could give it a good finish
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

NeilS, what is your procedure from brand new.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Personally I’d ask (tell) the dealership not to wash it prior to my collection unless they use a dedicated valet company or detailer who will clean it properly and with care. The only problem is that I can’t see many dealers willing to pay for that quality service. They probably employ a garage hand to do a quick wash and dry using cheap well used products and materials or will pay a generic mobile car cleaner who is working against the clock. With most things you get what you pay for.

As I enjoy car cleaning/valeting as a hobby, I would rather it left to me so I can clean, decontaminate and deal with any light marring incurred from where it left the factory until getting my hands on it. I imagine that most cars (if inspected closely enough) will have some light marks from transit etc. It’s just how OCD you want to be. Chasing perfection will only leave you tired and disappointed 😆

If it’s not your thing, you could still go down the first route of asking them to leave it and then take it to a detailer yourself to get any paint correction/coating done. At least that way you’d know what you’re paying for.

Or finally, like 99% of people who aren’t as OCD, let the dealership clean it and then look after it as you see fit/what suits 👍🏻
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I was thinking - wet car,shampoo, rinse, clay bar,rinse, dry then wax. I have most of the Autoglym products so would be using those initially.