125 v 155

All Ford Puma related discussions
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I drove the 155 on my test drive but ordered a 125 (same engine as my previous car plus MHEV).

Anyone driven both versions who can tell me whether the difference will be noticeable in normal driving conditions. My understanding is that the extra power only really comes in after about 4000 RPM.

Are there any other differences between the 2 engines or how they operate?

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Way back when...... I drove both versions. Initially a 125 then the 155. It's not about power, it's about torque. There's quite a difference in the NM figure.

The 155 has a physically bigger turbo, which is why the 125 can't be mapped. Though it could probably be increased to 140 like the other 1.0 Fiestas for example.

I found the 155 more flexible with peak torque coming earlier and it never fails to amaze me how it lugs up hills in 4th etc.

But for 'normal driving’ will you be short changed? No I don't think so.

For me, the drop to 125 after 6yrs of 200ps ST's was a drop too far, complete nonsense, but that's just me.

The open road has gone, all you can do these days is go with the flow, when it's flowing.....
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Ditto, I was impressed with the 125 on my test drive (155 wasn't available at the time) very nippy but went for a little bit more power but would've happily settled for the 125 if EH couldn't source the 155.
Really enjoying the car and handling 👍 takes your mind off the pandemic for a wee while 😉👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Seth

Post by Seth »

I drove 125 and 155, both MHEV and ordered 155 (DCT).
125 needs high rpms to drive. 155 is way more flexible.
And "normal driving" includes overtaking. It's much safer to have more torque.
Phuma.

Post by Phuma. »

Yeah totally agree, it depends what your used to, I went from a 184 to the 155 puma & the difference was noticeable at first, so I was glad I didn’t opt for the 125, I’ve since driven a 125 & it felt a bit sluggish up hill with 2 passengers…
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Nothing wrong with the 125 there is plenty of torque for overtaking and any other normal driving manoeuvres. I wanted a 155 but couldn't source one with the spec I wanted at the price I could live with. I have no regrets getting the 125, it's not let me down when I've wanted it to perform.
Agreed it doesn't have the same torque as the 155, but, that's stating the bleeding obvious. Also, as pointed out, in todays driving conditions is the extra really needed?. It took me 40 minutes to just get through Stratford yesterday, not even rush hour. :(
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I came from a 2 ltr bmw and could only get a 125 for a test drive which I was impressed with and had also driven a 148 bhp fiesta 1.0 ltr a few years ago ( non hybrid) but I was always planning to get the 155 as I wanted the extra torque and it doesn’t disappoint.
As most have said most times you wouldn’ only notice, in certain situations, ideally a dealer would have both available to test and then it’s down to which you prefer.
If I go to Whitby I climb a steep bank with a couple of bends onto the moors and in sport it goes up there very easily. Also pulls from about 25 mph in 4 th ok
I didn’t want the 125 because I would always be wondering should I have got the 155.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I test drove the 125 and was impressed. However having had the Focus in a 125 previously and trading in a 1.5 diesel, I just wanted the extra torque. The 125 is fine for day to day driving but on the occasions we travel as four adults, on a decent journey, I wanted go make sure I had the extra power when required.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Deleted User 135

Post by Deleted User 135 »

Im worried if I go for the 125 that I would be short changed on power and torque,dose it go up hills and give you a kick in the back,when I had my focus 1.0 titanium x 125,that used to go up hills like all roads were flat and give you a kick in the back,I still miss that car:(,my fiesta is 100 bhp,I would say it adequate for the car,
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Mine has flown up Fish hill on the A44 (look it up), I've been up it in several cars over the years and some have really struggled. I had no issues with it in the Puma and no issues with it in my Fiesta active, I'm sure the 155 would breeze up also, but, my point is, if my 125 can do that I'm not worried about any hills I may encounter.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.