125 v 155

All Ford Puma related discussions
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:12 am No, I'm sorry, the gear lever tells you exactly which gear you are in by its physical position. Really it's not hard.
I tend to differ. The gears are close and if you have the time to look at your gear lever and can easily distinguish between fourth and sixth then you are a better man than I am.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.

Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 »

The Puma gearshift is not short and stubby with little movement between gears like many cars I've owned. Indeed there is quite a bit of travel. And I can definitely tell if the Puma is in Fourth or Sixth only from gear stick position. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the car.
bbtablet

Post by bbtablet »

Yes, you cannot turn off the change gear indicator, BUT if you buy a sheet of those sticky-back black dots (various sizes on eBay) and strategically place it over the place where the indicator shows (a little trial and error), you will never see it again! Easily peeled off when you sell the car - job done.
I had every intention of doing exactly this, even bought the black dots, and then had a change of heart as I decided I was obsessing about the issue and should look out through the windscreen a bit more!
Still, I can always change my mind again!
Lucid red Puma ST Line X 155
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Ha... 😁 That's a great post. I find that the notchy, long throw gearshift experience is the worst thing about the Puma. I hope the ST has a better one but I've not driven it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Don’t even notice the gear indicator on the dash now.
Always know what gear I’m in
1st to 2nd is rubbish unless i take it very easy , the rest is ok no issues with changing gear
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I’ve stopped taking any notice now. I just drive and change gear when I see fit.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
potentialbuyer

Post by potentialbuyer »

Back to the 125 vs 155 discussion. Still don't know what to do. For instance is there a big difference in fuel consumption when having the same driving style ? Is the 125 really strong enough (I am not talking about top speed but about enough power to make a fast take over action at for instance 120 km/hour) ? What about the motor elasticity in 5th gear between 1500 and 3000 rpm when you step on it ?
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Have you thought about a test drive of each model? Ford are doing a 24 hours Test Drive Promo at the moment.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

potentialbuyer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:52 am Back to the 125 vs 155 discussion. Still don't know what to do. For instance is there a big difference in fuel consumption when having the same driving style ? Is the 125 really strong enough (I am not talking about top speed but about enough power to make a fast take over action at for instance 120 km/hour) ? What about the motor elasticity in 5th gear between 1500 and 3000 rpm when you step on it ?
The 125 still has plenty of poke from 75 MPH for overtaking on the motorway, Obviously if that is your major concern and the majority of driving is on the motorway, the 155 would be the way to go. If you are urban driving for the majority of the time, then, I doubt you would gain much having the 155.
As suggested, see your dealer and get a long test drive in each.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

potentialbuyer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:52 am Back to the 125 vs 155 discussion. Still don't know what to do. For instance is there a big difference in fuel consumption when having the same driving style ? Is the 125 really strong enough (I am not talking about top speed but about enough power to make a fast take over action at for instance 120 km/hour) ? What about the motor elasticity in 5th gear between 1500 and 3000 rpm when you step on it ?
Best to test drive, as everyone's opinion will be different, as everyone will have compared with their own previous cars.

I test drove both a 125 and a 155, I immediately wanted the 155. Why? It felt fast, responsive on pull away, on overtaking, very nippy. Went to over 70mph very quickly. But I'm comparing it with my old bmax 1.6 auto... which was a bag of spanners in comparison.

Someone else here might say the 155 was rubbish, so they went for an ST, as their previous car was a (for example) a 300bhp Audi RS6. :D :D

One thing I will say is I believe the 155 together with the hybrid MHEV option, contributes to the responsiveness from start. I also went for the DCT gearbox as I'm a lazy git :D but it certainly produces a smooth acceleration when floored (again, my opinion).

Go grab a test drive if you can, then you can really decide on the right choice.
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.