Rejecting the Puma

All Ford Puma related discussions
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

So 4 weeks after the car was checked over at dealership and no problems with battery found the battery warning messages started again. Am so sick of this that I’ve started the process to reject the car- need to know has anybody been successful with this. I’m not hopeful that it will succeed but if you dont try you dont get. If indeed the problem is that I do a low mileage I have asked why I wasn’t informed of this at point of sale. If we can’t reject the car then we’ve accepted that we will trade it in for any other manufacturer on this earth than Ford!! So I need advice from anyone out there who is tech savvy especially with hybrid engines. I certainly wont ever entertain another mild hybrid system but need to know will a hybrid system where you switch from fuel to electric etc suffer from same battery problems if only doing a low mileage? Any info gratefully received

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

You could spend some time perusing the Toyota forum which is full of 12v battery problems. So that's full hybrids accounted for.

You could replace your own 12v battery for one from a reputable manufacturer for circa £100. See if that cures your issues.

Has your puma failed you recently? Have you had to call a recovery service for a non-starter?

I get a battery warning often, though only through Ford Pass. If I didn't look at it I wouldn't know. My Puma has never failed to start. I ignore it and crack on.

You can continue bashing Ford, mild hybrids, or anything else you like or you could be proactive, your choice.

Perhaps you should just take the hit, trade it for a loss and buy something else that could become problematic in one way or another going forward, we are currently not in a buyer's market.

We are slowly but surely transitioning to electrification in one way or another, mild, full, plug in or BEV.

I wish you good luck, but life's too short. Just trade and be done.
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

I asked a civil question, would be nice to get a civil answer
robgee

Post by robgee »

Mine seems to have stop giving those messages since i done a software update to the car https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources- ... oth/update#/ and updated the FordPass app. If its just coming up on the Fordpass app then i would ignore them as its more likely to be the app. I dont do many miles in mine and most of the are short journeys of 2-3 miles each way but as i said i havent seen the warning message for a few days. The longest drive was to update the software and that was about a total of 60 minutes (not including the maps)
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Linda Turnef wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:24 pm I asked a civil question, would be nice to get a civil answer
You didn't listen to the civil answers that were offered before. So, what's the point...

Please highlight where I am being uncivil. 😄
Mike

Post by Mike »

Linda Turnef wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm So 4 weeks after the car was checked over at dealership and no problems with battery found the battery warning messages started again. Am so sick of this that I’ve started the process to reject the car- need to know has anybody been successful with this. I’m not hopeful that it will succeed but if you dont try you dont get. If indeed the problem is that I do a low mileage I have asked why I wasn’t informed of this at point of sale. If we can’t reject the car then we’ve accepted that we will trade it in for any other manufacturer on this earth than Ford!! So I need advice from anyone out there who is tech savvy especially with hybrid engines. I certainly wont ever entertain another mild hybrid system but need to know will a hybrid system where you switch from fuel to electric etc suffer from same battery problems if only doing a low mileage? Any info gratefully received
What distance are your journeys?
Do you use stop / start ?
Is it the app that is saying there is a fault.
I believe you can reject the car if you have a major fault in the first 30 days or if a vehicle develops the same fault within 6 months of ownership.
You could always get an independent to test the battery or as mentioned purchase your own and I understand you feel like you shouldn’t need to but it is a possible cheap way to rectify your issue against trading the car and loosing a fair chunk of cash.
You could try a different dealer if you have one locally.
You could always charge the battery and see if the problem comes back again.

Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Guy's it's not just the hybrid Puma. My pure petrol ST Puma has the same problem. I get messages on the App like everyone else, but in addition the passenger door will not open keyless, sync 3 audio (without engine running) shuts down after approx 5 minutes with the message "shutting down to conserve battery power" and worse I am unable to get the app to update on vehicle location and current tyre pressures. That said and whilst not having used the car a great deal (2000miles from New and since Jan 21) it always starts okay.
I am not now convinced this a simple battery issue, more like an inherent design issue with one of the vehicles modules (BCM Battery Control Module perhaps?)
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

Rays1 that is exactly what is happening every four weeks or so. Also parking sensors become very faint and tinny sounding , tailgate takes forever to open and lights aren’t as bright. The Sleep Mode message also appears on the dashboard screen not just on mobile. My mileage whilst not high isn’t any less than my previous two Kugas and there was no problem with their batteries. Kind of going round in circles, it’s a 70 mile journey to the dealership so of course when I get there the battery registers no problem. I took legal advice on what to do , rejecting the car was the final option as dealership wont do anything as computer says nothing wrong. I really don’t think it will be successful and as I previously stated we’ve accepted that we’re going to trade it in , just looking for some help about other types of hybrid platforms. You’re theory is interesting, have you challenged Ford with it?
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

Mike, the battery has been charged three times in last 3 months, the first time it happened I had been on the mainland 4 days previously and driven over 100miles so was surprised when the message came up and all the alarms, radio , locking mechanism etc started to decline. The message appears on the dashboard screen as well as on the app.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Haven't used the car for a day or so. Battery voltage at rest is 11.5v

PXL_20210606_054918779.jpg

After my 20 mile commute this morning battery shows 11.7/11.8v

PXL_20210606_062712786.jpg

Still in a heavily discharged state.