Rejecting the Puma

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:20 pm The thing is and from what I've seen is that the onboard hidden diagnosis shows the battery (on my ST Puma) as discharged 11.5volts, where as when using two different handheld meters the reading on one is 12.5v and on the other a simple green light to confirm the battery charge is 75% - 100% okay. I am convinced my battery is good whereas through the cars "clever" gizmo modules it thinks different.
That's a good shout. I need to get a meter across it to find out.

Could be as simple as charging/conditioning, then resetting the monitor as explained above. Perhaps the software needs updating/calibrating.

Mines in on Friday. I'll interrogate the nearest tech. Try and get an answer on this once and for all..... I said tryπŸ˜†

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Andi wrote: ↑Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:59 am resetting the battery monitor system
Thanks for the info. Gonna leave everything as is until I've been into the dealers on Friday.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Wdf76 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:04 pm
Rays1 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:20 pm The thing is and from what I've seen is that the onboard hidden diagnosis shows the battery (on my ST Puma) as discharged 11.5volts, where as when using two different handheld meters the reading on one is 12.5v and on the other a simple green light to confirm the battery charge is 75% - 100% okay. I am convinced my battery is good whereas through the cars "clever" gizmo modules it thinks different.
That's a good shout. I need to get a meter across it to find out.

Could be as simple as charging/conditioning, then resetting the monitor as explained above. Perhaps the software needs updating/calibrating.

Mines in on Friday. I'll interrogate the nearest tech. Try and get an answer on this once and for all..... I said tryπŸ˜†
Module firmware / calibration is what I am thinking...I know my dealer very well having been an RS twice customer and author for car club magazines.. I am not one to let them fob me off.
Puma1959

Post by Puma1959 »

I have just checked my battery state out of curiosity. I haven’t had any battery problems. After 20 minute run 11.5v on engineer test menu & 12.10 using multimeter. I did 500 miles last week, so thought it would be fully charged. I think 12.10 is a bit low.
Ford Puma 1.0 St Line X Vignale Lucid Red.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I'm leaning to Rays1's theory that the software is reading lower than actual voltage and therefore creating false warnings through Ford pass and sync etc.
STer

Post by STer »

Kudos to forums, reading this stuff (and the rest) has made me pause with a capital P on going for a Puma ST. Despite what some people say (at 'dealers' often) about 'don't listen to forums', in my experience, when something appears over and over, it's usually worth taking note.
I morally will never give a single penny to a finance company, plus I like to own my cars, so I buy my cars (pre reg or sometimes new) after I've saved up and supplemented with a part X, or just as often (if the part X price is a comedy offer) after selling my car privately.
Hence, potentially shelling out about 28K of hard earned cash for an ST with a performance pack (after haggling for about 7% off list, using carwow as an argument) is falling every day after reading all the good stuff you guys are sharing concerning your problems.
Hope those of you with car issues get them sorted.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Puma1959 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm I have just checked my battery state out of curiosity. I haven’t had any battery problems. After 20 minute run 11.5v on engineer test menu & 12.10 using multimeter. I did 500 miles last week, so thought it would be fully charged. I think 12.10 is a bit low.
Your right, a good battery should read approx 12.6 - 12.8
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

STer wrote: ↑Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:29 pm Kudos to forums, reading this stuff (and the rest) has made me pause with a capital P on going for a Puma ST. Despite what some people say (at 'dealers' often) about 'don't listen to forums', in my experience, when something appears over and over, it's usually worth taking note.
I morally will never give a single penny to a finance company, plus I like to own my cars, so I buy my cars (pre reg or sometimes new) after I've saved up and supplemented with a part X, or just as often (if the part X price is a comedy offer) after selling my car privately.
Hence, potentially shelling out about 28K of hard earned cash for an ST with a performance pack (after haggling for about 7% off list, using carwow as an argument)
Should check out carfile.net I seen this website after buying mine 😲 they're offering around 3k off st line x 155 which is around 13% πŸ‘ discount applies on all optional extras too πŸ‘
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
STer

Post by STer »

BjNtheBear wrote: ↑Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:46 pm [

Should check out carfile.net I seen this website after buying mine 😲 they're offering around 3k off st line x 155 which is around 13% πŸ‘ discount applies on all optional extras too πŸ‘
Cheers. I'll keep that site in my arsenal when searching. I mentioned that it's pre reggers I usually go for. I don't mind traveling to get one and my current motor I got for 5.5K (!!) less than 'new', even though it was in a showroom with 3 miles on it, and registered just 10 days prior. Thing is with the car market at the moment crazy used prices, reduced production driven by the chip shortage, pre reggers are as rare as rain in a desert.
Moreover, thanks to this thread and others, talking about shocking issues with sleep modes etc, plus more than enough other stuff like poorly fitted panels and quality control etc, handing my hard earned over for a PUMA ST, certainly as things stand now with these apparent issues, is not going to happen. Imagine the grief if the recurrent issues occur out of warranty! I've experience of buying a lemon in the past (the Mrs' '15 VW Polo), which saw us (me and the mrs) de facto on the dealership's xmas card list it was back so many times. We got it for cash (with a part X), but got shot of it after 2 years and scared me for life with the brand. Something like that of course could happen with any car/brand one buys, but darned if I'd openly walk in into it. Interestingly, most (if not all) of the problems which occurred were documented as repeated issues on forums had I had had the foresight to look before buying. Which is why I laugh at the 'don't believe forums' spiel 'dealers' can sometimes say when you mention them (forums). I use this hard learned lesson as an example.
Last edited by STer on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
robgee

Post by robgee »

STer wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:38 am
BjNtheBear wrote: ↑Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:46 pm [

Cheers. I'll keep that site in my arsenal when searching. I mentioned that it's pre reggers I usually go for. I don't mind traveling to get one and my current motor I got for 5.5K (!!) less than 'new', even though it was in a showroom with 3 miles on it, and registered just 10 days prior. Thing is with the car market at the moment crazy used prices, reduced production driven by the chip shortage, pre reggers are as rare as rain in a desert.
Moreover, thanks to this thread and others, talking about shocking issues with sleep modes etc, plus more than enough other stuff like poorly fitted panels and quality control etc, handing my hard earned over for a PUMA ST, certainly as things stand now with these apparent issues, is not going to happen.
Yes there have been some issues with some of the builds but if you know the issues to look for you can go pre-armed (and even get further reductions) , some of them are software glitches (which any decent dealer should be able to do) and the panel alignment is something that you can check and get rectified before taking ownership. They are nice cars to drive and can be a lot of fun and still in my opinion one of the best looking small SUV's around and as other people have said you can look at other car forums for other models and see that some people are having a lot of issues.

I personally would quite happily buy another one when my options finish next year if they do facelift model, ie sync 4 and full hybrid or electric.
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)