Rejecting the Puma

All Ford Puma related discussions
STer

Post by STer »

Cheers.
Nah, reading some of those horror scripts posted by unfortunate posters makes me cringe.
Thankfully I've never had to do rectifying of panel alignments etc before buying a car, and, interestingly enough, the only time I'd ever seem it first hand was on a Fiesta ST-line courtesy car the mrs was given which only had about 200 miles on it. Even she was spotting all sorts of poking out bits and gaps and granted it was a courtesy car, but with only 200 miles?
I agree it's a nice looking SUV but until things level out, the stories I've read will see me looking elsewhere.
As regards to syncs/hybrids/electric etc, I never in a million years even turn my phone on in a car- I am a driving enthusiast and love driving and the interaction between me and the machine. I don't even turn the radio on lol. A hybrid I don't want and I hope never to purchase a souless, transmission-less, noiseless, 'all electric' transportation pod.

I wonder if a poster with recurring issues and frustration in getting them rectified ends up being a youtuber and documenting all of their issues.
Just to say again though, a thanks to all those who took time to document the issues they've experienced and their journey in trying to get them sorted. And fingers crossed that they all get successful conclusions.

Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Whatever car you buy you can always find disgruntled owners.

I always take things with a pinch of salt. Yes the car has a few issues but they are selling thousands and it’s a handful of people complaining.

I think software is the main issue for me. It’s not disastrous but needs sorting. The car as a “drivers car” is awesome and the hybrid 155 is such a fun machine.

Luckily I have a decent Ford dealership locally.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
STer

Post by STer »

Stoopo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 am Whatever car you buy you can always find disgruntled owners.

I always take things with a pinch of salt. Yes the car has a few issues but they are selling thousands and it’s a handful of people complaining.

I think software is the main issue for me.

Of course, you will always find disgruntled owners, but I'd prefer to use the phrase owners rightly expressing their dissatisfaction of purchasing a car in good faith and spending thousands of pounds on it.
And it's totally correct that 'it's a handful' of people complaining, but that don't necessarily translate to the wider populous, as the same thousands don't usually post on car forums.

I can only go by past experience. I've experience of a lemon which I didn't research before hand (my fault), which had issues all well documented on forums in sufficient numbers to give a red warning sign.

The current cars in the family, and indeed all those purchased after the lemon experience, thankfully, have turned out to be largely fine (touching every bit of wood). Those didn't/haven't got so many 'teething' (?) issues as documented on some of these long threads.

I am these days of the opinion of if I waked in to shelling out 27-28K or so for an ST and up popped the stuff I'm reading on here, in amounts which seem concerning, I would only have myself to blame.
But I'm thankful to those who unfortunately had to document such issues.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Spot on @ robgee, was thinking the very same, one of the main plus points of forums such as this is is aiming to aid other folks sort out issues and as you rightly say other brands will have issues openly aired on different threads, it shouldn't necessarily put you off buying completely.
Personally I love this wee car, not the most powerful I've had but the way it looks and drives...superb, in fairness if you've had your fingers burnt a few times it can be understandable to be cagey, it is after all a major purchase.👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Deleted User 509

Post by Deleted User 509 »

FWIW, in the past, I used to own BMWs and Mercedes. The relative forums for those were much fuller with problems than this forum. It is a truth that people who are happy with their purchases will normally not post this on forums. Those who have experienced problems will always post. In my experience it is also a truth that the more people pay for their cars, the pickier they become, such that they find faults that Joe and Jane Average completely ignore. As an example, little rattles or squeaks anywhere in any car will drive me mad - my wife never even hears them, or is capable of ignoring them. Its all perception.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

There haven't been that many problems with the Puma and most have been sorted....Software problems are going to be the bane of many a motor manufacturer for years to come.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Agreed... I don't think we've had any mechanical, transmission, engine or hybrid issues to speak of. Think someone had an engine sensor a while back, plus the leaking shock absorber recall. Very few interior issues to speak of barr the odd rattle or three. So, all in all it's been 12v battery, sync/software, paint, sticking brakes and build quality control.

If you look through the forum it's the same topics with generally the same occuring faults being updated.

If they sorted them all we'd have nothing to talk about other than cleaning, oil changes and best MPG.

Pretty good for a new model I think.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Well my ST went in today. But didn't come back. Still on charge apparently. But the battery is fine or so they say... Let me just repeat that, it's on charge over night cos only at 75% capacity but the battery is fine - Uh. I await in anticipation of a solution. Not the ever optimist 🙄
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rays1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:47 pm Well my ST went in today. But didn't come back. Still on charge apparently. But the battery is fine or so they say... Let me just repeat that, it's on charge over night cos only at 75% capacity but the battery is fine - Uh. I await in anticipation of a solution. Not the ever optimist 🙄
That's what they told me and to be fair, since the overnight charge I haven't had a recurrence of the problem.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

So here is the deal. My Puma ST went into the dealership yesterday. Sleep mode, audio shutting down after five minutes, keyless locking/opening not working on the passenger door.
They had it for two day's.
Carried out a midtronics test x2, it found battery good x2.
But battery SOC (state of charge) found to be 74%.
Ford technical suggested the following:
Check for software updates.
Found updates required for ACM (Audio control module) and BCM (Body Control Module).
Firmware/software updates carried out.
Battery charged
BMS (Battery monitor) reset.

Car collected..
I guess it's a case of see how it performs now...
To be fair to my dealership they are very good and are more than happy to take another look should things go pear shape once again.