Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I’ve done a few merges. If you see any other threads that need adding, please drop me a note with the links and I’ll sort them too.

👍🏻
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Kemills1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:06 pm Started the car and the voltage went straight to 14.7V which is bad ( the voltage should increase slowly)
Why is the fast ramp up in voltage bad?
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Kemills1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 am Yes, I put a clamp meter on the negative battery cable. Initially the current draw was about 3.5A and then, after a few minutes, dropped to 1.3A which I think is too much.
A sleeping car should be in the 30mA range not 1300mA. What clamp meter do you have and over what range is it accurate?
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Well if mines sorted or not (seems ok at the moment) at least I’ve got a free service as a goodwill gesture.

Plus a new Varta.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

When the car leaves the production line it's started then parked. By the time it gets to the dealers this has happened a number of times without any charge being put back in the battery. If the dealer doesn't give it an overnight conditioning charge the battery life gets off to a poor start. Maybe this is a part of the problem.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

Chocky wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 pm
Kemills1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 am Yes, I put a clamp meter on the negative battery cable. Initially the current draw was about 3.5A and then, after a few minutes, dropped to 1.3A which I think is too much.
A sleeping car should be in the 30mA range not 1300mA. What clamp meter do you have and over what range is it accurate?
My clamp meter is a MS2108A and I guess it is not all that accurate (+/-2% according to the specs), and I did zeroed it out before taking the measurement.
Mean Green Puma ST performance.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:22 am When the car leaves the production line it's started then parked. By the time it gets to the dealers this has happened a number of times without any charge being put back in the battery. If the dealer doesn't give it an overnight conditioning charge the battery life gets off to a poor start. Maybe this is a part of the problem.
When I had the sleep problem my dealer had the car for two days and conditioned the battery, I haven't had any repeat of the problem since then, I still have the original Rombat.
As a matter of interest I note that a few people have checked their voltage via the dash service menu and have results around the 11.6/11.8 mark (including a Varta) with no sleep problem. Could it be that this is normal for the Puma? :o
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not normal for a battery , anything less then 12.4 and the battery deteriorates
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Well the convenience test result was 12.20v when the dash service menu was showing 11.8, so, who knows?? I'm no longer going to look or bother with it. I have no sleep issues at present, so, I'll just go with that and not worry about it....
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I only ever had one deep sleep message and the app stopped working, checked the battery a few times , give it a charge, and kept checking and even though it reads low no other messages, it goes in tomorrow for dab issue and a battery check.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )