Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

The Puma has both a 12V starter motor and 48V ISG. The 12V starter (and hence 12V battery) are used to crank the engine initially and get the mhev system operating. After that all restarts following an auto stop (in traffic) is via the 48V ISG. Have you noticed how the first crank in the morning is sloooow but the restarts in traffic are lightening quick?

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

So me charging the 12v battery via a mains charger after a week without use is unnecessary. Or am I missing something.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Why can't the Ford Pas app show the 12v battery state of charge as it shows fuel left, tyre pressures and other info.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Chocky wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:05 pm The Puma has both a 12V starter motor and 48V ISG. The 12V starter (and hence 12V battery) are used to crank the engine initially and get the mhev system operating. After that all restarts following an auto stop (in traffic) is via the 48V ISG. Have you noticed how the first crank in the morning is sloooow but the restarts in traffic are lightening quick?
I hadn't tbh. Thanks for this info. Now I understand the 12v system and that it has a bit more work to do in the Puma and other mhev. If you take Toyota hev as an example the 12v system purely fires up the electronics, the hybrid battery takes care of everything else hence its bigger capacity.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Car went in Monday and no surprise battery at 25%. They charged it checked it and said battery fine must be Iโ€™m not doing long enough journeys. I pointed out long journeys against the law at moment so what was I suppose to do and they suggested buying a battery charger๐Ÿ˜‚ knew nothing about rombat batteries and apparently couldnโ€™t talk to Ford technical unless computer says they can

They were returning the car this morning but we had a phone call saying they tried to start the car this morning and all sorts of warning messages flashed up and when they checked battery charge was down to 25% again so they think I have a faulty battery๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ when asked if they will be changing it they said too early to say.

I have already discussed with Ford customer relations who seem much more helpful than the dealers so hopefully with this latest news a new battery is on the horizon.

What is worrying is that had I picked the car up yesterday as planned, I would not have been aware of deterioration, in fact the cold weather last night may have sped the process up, and it would only have been a matter of time before I was stranded again.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Thanks for all the other comments by the way and apologies for posting some things twice bit of a newbie when it comes to social media๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ll keep your all posted on events๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Could Hunbob need a software update?

Capture.JPG

https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Yep a knackered battery can still be read as 100% SoC and good voltage, but put it under load and it'll drop like a stone. If the plates become sulfated it just can't hold the designed amount of charge any more. New battery of any brand will fix your car.

As for the DCDC update that won't help. The car doesn't have a charging problem.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Hunbob wrote: โ†‘Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 am Thanks for all the other comments by the way and apologies for posting some things twice bit of a newbie when it comes to social media๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ll keep your all posted on events๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Hunbob no need for apologies. You're doing ok. We're all here to learn. I even learnt something new from Chocky on this thread (even though he had to repeat himself๐Ÿ˜) Everyday is still a school day.

Conclusion now would be that you just need a new 12v battery. Don't let up on the dealer.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

I've been out of action for the past 7 weeks (Covid) and Puma has been sat gathering snow, had one deep sleep alert on the car, just gone out and started the car first time, Rombat battery.
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic