Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I’ve also had a few cars in my 66 years. I tend to buy Ford Direct nearly new now because I’ve had three in a row and had some excellent deals and savings. Plus two years breakdown.

I can honestly say that this is my favourite car after my MGB Roadster that I had in my wonder years (I had hair and a car that my mate said was like a vacuum cleaner - it “picked ‘owt up” were his words😉)

Battery wise I had the sleep problem after about three months, which would make the car nine months old and with around 2500 on the clock. I let them charge it the once on the understanding if it happened again I wanted a Varta. It did and they swapped it over.

Now it’s a year old and I’ve had no issues since the Varta was fitted.

I personally think the number of modules cars run these days soon sorts out the good from the bad batteries. However someone on here said there was going to be a recall for some charging issue.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.

Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Tommo56 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am it was built June 2021, presumably in Romania but the B-pillar plate says Germany (a mystery?),
That's because Ford Europe are headquartered in Cologne, Germany. If you look at the VIN of any European Ford built in the last 20 years or so, you will see the fist 3 digits are WF0. The W is the code for Germany. Further on in the VIN there is a code for the plant where the car was actually built.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Car went in last night (booked in for today)

Just spoke to the garage and the battery was at 40% and one of the first things to go is the passenger door remote feature.

Had the discussion about how often I drive etc and gave the same response as I did last time it went in!

The new message on the app when it goes into deep sleep has changed. Used to read that once you start the car everything returns.

Now I’m getting told I need to give it a good run with aircon off. They even have the cheek to tell me if that if it doesn’t start, to jump start it.

Apparently they haven’t heard of any battery issue and won’t be replacing it unless they can get a fault code.

They are keeping it on charge overnight. I’ve told them that I expect an answer as to why it’s at such a low charge as surely that demonstrates a fault.

Whilst this is just a niggle in the grand scheme of things, I have really enjoyed the car. That said, I’ve been toying with getting rid and taking advantage of the hiked second hand market. We don’t actually need two cars so I’ll wait and see what happens and make a decision then.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Could be a larger battery drain than normal. Most cars have a battery drain to some degree when idle, The Puma seems to be more than most. But there's rarely a problem in starting a Puma even after a couple of weeks.Ford should investigate thoroughly. This problem is putting a lot of potential buyers off.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Over the last 3 months the car has done some good mileage (most of which on the motorway with 50 min journeys so decent runs)

It’s probably covered several hundred miles in that time so I’m surprised it’s showing signs now whereas during lockdown and periods of minimal use it’s been fine. Admittedly it’s only done 3700 since new so not exactly been through it’s paces.

I totally agree that it’s always started and run but this is now the second time a battery issue has poked its head up and this time it’s affecting vehicle functions.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Rizmo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm Could be a larger battery drain than normal. Most cars have a battery drain to some degree when idle, The Puma seems to be more than most. But there's rarely a problem in starting a Puma even after a couple of weeks.Ford should investigate thoroughly. This problem is putting a lot of potential buyers off.
From the comments on this thread it seems that there are several factors that could potentially be involved:- battery drain when off; battery quality; and the charging system / charging algorithm.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

It's the software I'm mostly suspicious of.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

NeilS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:43 pm Car went in last night (booked in for today)

Just spoke to the garage and the battery was at 40% and one of the first things to go is the passenger door remote feature.

Had the discussion about how often I drive etc and gave the same response as I did last time it went in!

The new message on the app when it goes into deep sleep has changed. Used to read that once you start the car everything returns.

Now I’m getting told I need to give it a good run with aircon off. They even have the cheek to tell me if that if it doesn’t start, to jump start it.

Apparently they haven’t heard of any battery issue and won’t be replacing it unless they can get a fault code.

They are keeping it on charge overnight. I’ve told them that I expect an answer as to why it’s at such a low charge as surely that demonstrates a fault.

Whilst this is just a niggle in the grand scheme of things, I have really enjoyed the car. That said, I’ve been toying with getting rid and taking advantage of the hiked second hand market. We don’t actually need two cars so I’ll wait and see what happens and make a decision then.
That's interesting:- others have been advised to use the ancillary equipment to trigger the charging system to turn on! :)
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

C9CE8314-4A01-4A51-B871-2F93287F83CD.jpeg

7C20CB93-E36D-4CF8-9A01-A640B33E40E6.jpeg

Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I too think it might be a software/charging issue.

As I said on a previous thread, mine seems to charge better when I put a load on it over shorter journeys. I’m not really checking it at the moment as I have the new Varta and I’m not getting the dreaded messages.

This last week we’ve had the seats on heat and the steering wheel. I’ve done both short and medium runs. However if I do get a problem I’ll be straight back onto the dealership.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.