Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
jake52

Post by jake52 »

Just had my (in) convenience check and the dealer said my battery is only running at 25% efficiency. Never had any warnings and my auto start/stop works constantly. Surely the auto start/stop would be the first thing to be disabled with poor battery performance? Can anyone tell me who has had battery issues whether they had noticed that start/stop is usually unavailable. FYI ETM reads 11.9v off, 14.2v running.

mr2gti

Post by mr2gti »

Missus's car was due to go in tomorrow to have crap battery and power saving issues investigated - but cancelled by the dealer as a "Bolt Issue" has come to light and a mass recall is being planned as a repair. They became a little cryptic on the phone but more to follow next week.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

mr2gti wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:27 am Missus's car was due to go in tomorrow to have crap battery and power saving issues investigated - but cancelled by the dealer as a "Bolt Issue" has come to light and a mass recall is being planned as a repair. They became a little cryptic on the phone but more to follow next week.
Do you know any more about this, e.g. whether it applies to all Pumas and which bolt it might refer to?

If mine needs to go back for anything, I might speak with them about the battery. Mine was built in March 21 and I thought they had switched from the Rombat to the Varta by then, but mine has a Rombat and goes to sleep every day.
mr2gti

Post by mr2gti »

cianpars wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:17 pm
mr2gti wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:27 am Missus's car was due to go in tomorrow to have crap battery and power saving issues investigated - but cancelled by the dealer as a "Bolt Issue" has come to light and a mass recall is being planned as a repair. They became a little cryptic on the phone but more to follow next week.
Do you know any more about this, e.g. whether it applies to all Pumas and which bolt it might refer to?

If mine needs to go back for anything, I might speak with them about the battery. Mine was built in March 21 and I thought they had switched from the Rombat to the Varta by then, but mine has a Rombat and goes to sleep every day.
Wont know anything till next week when I go digging. I'm presuming it's something to do with a bolt that has some sort of earthing task. Her's is a Rombat too - and it behaved for a few days after a day on a trickle charger.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

jake52 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:26 am Just had my (in) convenience check and the dealer said my battery is only running at 25% efficiency. Never had any warnings and my auto start/stop works constantly. Surely the auto start/stop would be the first thing to be disabled with poor battery performance? Can anyone tell me who has had battery issues whether they had noticed that start/stop is usually unavailable. FYI ETM reads 11.9v off, 14.2v running.
Stop Start is done by the 48 Volt system not the 12v battery.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Try and press the dealer for the field service action code.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle/safety-recalls
jake52

Post by jake52 »

Sparks wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:26 pm
jake52 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:26 am Just had my (in) convenience check and the dealer said my battery is only running at 25% efficiency. Never had any warnings and my auto start/stop works constantly. Surely the auto start/stop would be the first thing to be disabled with poor battery performance? Can anyone tell me who has had battery issues whether they had noticed that start/stop is usually unavailable. FYI ETM reads 11.9v off, 14.2v running.
Stop Start is done by the 48 Volt system not the 12v battery.
Mines the none mild hybrid auto, so only the one battery.
mirrormask

Post by mirrormask »

Sparks wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:47 am
Yep, that's what I meant by a dead screen open and close the door so it all turns off.
Started with a dead screen. Pressed and held OK, pressed Start. Everything lit up - usual messages re seat belts. No secret menu. I give up.
Ford Puma Titanium 1.0L EcoBoost mHEV 92KW/125PS Lucid Red Nov 2020
asl3312

Post by asl3312 »

If you're not having problems and there's no issues then I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is the non hybrid too and when I checked the ETM it said battery voltage was 11.8V.. in my opinion and experience that is fine considering the car is powered up (modules etc) without the engine running. When the car doesn't start is when I'd start to worry.
***NOW SOLD*** 2020 ST Line X 7DCT Auto 125PS - Magnetic Grey - DAP - LED - HFPT - Panoramic Roof - 19" Alloys
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Interesting that yours isn’t a hybrid! All the things I’ve seen have suggested the battery issue was something to do with the charging system on the hybrids. Obviously that’s not true if your car is having problems.

For info my battery was switched to a Varta after a few sleep issues and the alarm going off one day for no apparent reason. Since then, apart from the day after when it went to sleep, it’s been fine.

I have checked the charge occasionally but not recently but when I did I found it to be better after short runs when I had put more stress on the battery.

Must admit I’m expecting a recall at some stage as so many are having issues.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.