Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Anyone know what voltage gives out the deep sleep message I've had it a couple of times but didn't catch a reading, my battery constantly around 11.6v not had any messages for a few weeks , not looking good for the winter.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Around 11.2 to 11.4 always did it for mine.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:15 am Around 11.2 to 11.4 always did it for mine.
Were those values taken from the ETM, or measured directly from the battery terminals (or elsewhere)?
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Directly from the battery terminals immediately after opening car. ETM always read lower when vehicle wasn't running but the same when it was. (I tested the multimeter and it was accurate). Also tested 30mins after opening bonnet, allowing systems to close down, and reading would be higher on multimeter and ETM.

My issue was clearly not battery as such, the car for hardware or software reasons simply stopped charging or charging sufficiently at some point. And on long runs drained the battery until dead. Regrettably no error codes were recorded so no fault found. Other than the car won't start....
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had mine checked last couple of days and they say 0.6 amp draw when shut down which is ok, ?was showing 12.4 v and after charged shows 12.6 so we will see if I have any more messages. The dealer says the messages can be a regular thing but that doesn’t explain low charge readings.
I know this will have been answered but dies the 12v battery draw power from the 48v battery to assist in starting because a battery showing low 11’s should struggle to start I would think
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

A sleeping car should be about 0.03 amp. So a 0.6 amp draw is about 20x more than it should be. Back to the dealer as you have a parasitic drain if that figure is accurate.

The answer to your second question is complicated but basically no the 12 volt battery does not draw power from the 48 volt battery to help crank the engine.
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

When reporting battery/deep sleep issues would it help if people put downa bit more details re their Puma?

This issue has been going on for a while now and one would hope that Ford have sorted it out on the latest models and the problem is only on the earlier versions. Just a thought.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Chocky wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 pm A sleeping car should be about 0.03 amp. So a 0.6 amp draw is about 20x more than it should be. Back to the dealer as you have a parasitic drain if that figure is accurate.

The answer to your second question is complicated but basically no the 12 volt battery does not draw power from the 48 volt battery to help crank the engine.
Will monitor the problem, only ever had one message and it starts ok so will see what happens.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Well mine was parked up for two weeks at Liverpool airport and opened and started first time. Thank goodness as it was 2:30am.

My new Varta battery seems to run between about 11.9v and 12.3v when stood still and checked through the car’s system. Engine running it’s showing around 14.6.

I’m not checking it from now on - until I get a warning😉
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Mike

Post by Mike »

So same as rombat, weird readings because these would normally show as a flat battery and you would think sluggish starting
So either the starter takes very little power or because the 48v battery helps with stop/ start and although several people have said it doesn’t assist with starting does it actually help ??????