Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

Chocky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:47 pm haha. Your charger gives out only negative electrons or something? If it's 12 volt it'll do just fine.

If you really want to splash some cash then get a CTEK charger:
https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... ar-charger
:lol: I have a very old one which I don't know if it could be too brutal with all the sophisticated electronics involved on the car.
The other, more recent, it's for motorbikes, 6V, too weak. This last one I used it to recharge my previous car battery, it made the job. I'm not that confident to use it onto the new car though.
I'm afraid to fry everything up with recharge devices :lol:

BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

This is a decent smart charger at a reasonable price 👍

Screenshot_20220118-150702_Chrome.jpg

Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
LittlePuma

Post by LittlePuma »

I'll take a look at all of them suggested, thank you.
Buying one today it must be a modern one which can handle various functions, like the one you can swap the battery with continuity.

The manual of the Puma says there are no issues removing the battery form the car. It only awares you to wait like 2 minutes before to take it off.
It doesn't mention any reset into the veichle after the change of the battery as well, which is false, we all know.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

The two minute wait is to allow all the modules in the vehicle to complete their shutdown before you pull the power from them. For a new charger get the one with the most Amps you can afford. The only worthwhile feature on a charger is a recon mode which tries to remove sulfation. Everything else is blah blah.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

I bought the 8amp model was about £35 it has a maintenance mode which helps condition your battery when left for one or two days, also it's got winter mode or cold weather mode if you like, this gives a slight boost to the charging voltage (about 0.2v I think) after charging it goes into maintenance mode.
The other chargers mentioned are top notch but top dollar too, pound for pound I think this is a great budget buy 👍
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

BjNtheBear, I followed your procedure to check the battery voltage but no luck. Get in the car, close the door, open and close door again and all displays go off within a few seconds. Hold the OK button down and briefly press the start button without foot on the clutch and all the displays light up instantly. No sign of an engineering menu. I must be missing something.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

@Rizmo, it's always worked for me, in fact I've been keeping a photo log in case I need to show proof of the low voltage in the dealership, I started getting the low battery warning three weeks after taking it away from the showroom ☹️

Plus I've kept my sshh! deep sleep messages in Ford pass app 😉😁👍
Pops's Puma

Post by Pops's Puma »

Dont have my puma yet - April hopefully, but im shocked by some of posts read of dealers saying take it dor a long drive. Batteries should be good for a a couple of years even with short only trips that many people do. Never had a problem with any car battery before. Has anyone had battery replaced themselves or got AA RAC to do it - obviously not free but interesting to know if that cured it for them and issue simply crap batteries ford are supplying? Hoping any issue is resolved before mine comes though but reliability is what you expect from cars not a lottery that it may start because you not driven it for 5 days.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Despite the niggles, the Puma always starts, even after 3 weeks. There's plenty on the forum on this subject.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Same as Rizmo . Mine has never failed to start.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.