Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I hadn’t used mine for just over two weeks.

Not had any notifications/warnings or deep sleep mode alerts via the apps so assumed all was ok.

Car started and ran today, no issues or warnings but I can’t lock/unlock from the passenger door with the keyless entry. I also didn’t get any security door open alerts.

Checked both apps and apparently my car had gone into deep sleep to preserve battery etc but hadn't popped up via any notifications.

I’m hoping it’ll kick back in after a good run. If not, a trip to Gates will be on the cards.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Hi all
We ordered our new Puma 2 weeks ago and have just read the first 16 pages of this thread and the last 2 and are quite concerned what's going on with Ford here!
I'm questioning our order and thinking of cancelling as my wife and I are retired and do very little mileage. Reliability and having confidence in the car is key for us and the dealership we used being nearly 30 miles away is not ideal if we get any repeated problems with the car.
Can anybody reassure us that getting a 2022 car will be better than those of you who have purchased earlier models?

We would appreciate forum members thoughts.
Puma ST Line X Vignale - Frozen White - DAP - 155bhp Auto - Pan Roof - HFPT
Ordered on 12 Nov 21
Pick up from dealer - 20 May 22
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

SteveO wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 am Hi all
We ordered our new Puma 2 weeks ago and have just read the first 16 pages of this thread and the last 2 and are quite concerned what's going on with Ford here!
I'm questioning our order and thinking of cancelling as my wife and I are retired and do very little mileage. Reliability and having confidence in the car is key for us and the dealership we used being nearly 30 miles away is not ideal if we get any repeated problems with the car.
Can anybody reassure us that getting a 2022 car will be better than those of you who have purchased earlier models?

Hi, I'm retired too, and it was a big step to decide and get a NEW car. To be honest it will probably be the last new car I get.
I was worried too, having got the car and then reading all the horrors on the forum, especially this battery thread. But remember, forums like this tend to highlight problems and not praises.
My car is the same as what you ordered in terms of it being a Vignale, it's never given me a single problem (yes I know that tempts fate :D ), it was built June 2021, presumably in Romania but the B-pillar plate says Germany (a mystery?), I picked it up August 2021, it has a Rombat 12v battery that has never given me a problem, it starts every time, its an automatic which is a very sweet gearbox married up to the 155bhp engine. Nice smell of leather, heated seats keep my backside warm, heated steering wheel a blessing in this weather.... and speaking of weather, being an automatic I can start it up from in the house via the Fordpass app to get it toasty warm before I step out the door. :D
No car is perfect, but I've been very happy with mine. Its probably one of the best cars I've ever owned in my lifetime, and I've had quite a few... ford, vauxhall, Renault, BMW, Toyota.
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Thank you for your reassurance Tommo56 and some very positive feedback there which has alleviated some concerns we have.
We sold our Jaguar EPace recently for several reason (the biggest being the high cost of remote app license and extended warranties being over £1000/year), but I also had a battery issue where it had to be replaced during Covid lock down as the background operating systems drained it and it would not hold charge. Jaguar were very quick to resolve under warranty and we had no problem after that.
Buying another new car and having a similar problems, but with a manufacturer that appears to be less than helpful does concern us a little, perhaps getting other forum members views like yours will help us come to the right decision regarding our order.
Ordered on 12 Nov 21
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I had the battery issue early on with the Rombat, my dealer eventually reconditioned the battery and I've not had any problems since. If it returns I will simply get the battery changed.
I don't think anyone has been left stranded because of the issue and all cars have started without problem.
Yes, it's easy to read this forum and think it's a fatal flaw, but, that's what forums are for, discussing problems, major or minor. I think if you read through the forum you will find more praise than criticism for the car. I don't think I could have purchased a better car all round and taking everything into consideration.
To be honest, I'd take Fords reliability over a Jaguar/Landrover any day. ;) :D
As for dealers, some good, some bad, I've had no problems so can't complain.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
alanp

Post by alanp »

Most faults are minor niggles more than anything( to me anyway) I only do relatively low mileage with a 90 mile weekly work trip ( 18 miles round trip each day) I get the battery shut off message but the car always starts although, I occasionally trickle charge it , it’s a great car and it’s great on long journeys, I wouldn’t worry too much just enjoy
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

SteveO wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 am Hi all

Hi SteveO

I have had my Titanium (non MHEV) but with every option for 15 months now. The ROMBAT battery installed in the car from new does everything including the engine stop/start. Like you I am retired so the car does extremely low mileage, most weeks just a 12 mile round trip to the supermarket. I have had zero problems with the battery, in fact it the first Ford (and I have had many) where the engine start/stop continues to work after a year without a trickle top up.
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

SteveO wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:35 am Thank you for your reassurance Tommo56 and some very positive feedback there which has alleviated some concerns we have.
We sold our Jaguar EPace recently for several reason (the biggest being the high cost of remote app license and extended warranties being over £1000/year), but I also had a battery issue where it had to be replaced during Covid lock down as the background operating systems drained it and it would not hold charge. Jaguar were very quick to resolve under warranty and we had no problem after that.
Buying another new car and having a similar problems, but with a manufacturer that appears to be less than helpful does concern us a little, perhaps getting other forum members views like yours will help us come to the right decision regarding our order.
Your welcome. Funnily enough, I used to have a Toyota CHR Hybrid and that gave me battery problems. Got rid as I then retired and it was just an expensive lump of metal sat on the drive. So I down traded to a Ford Bmax... and guess what... it developed a faulty battery, but simply replaced it. As Sparks said, if ever the 12v battery decides to give up on the Puma, no problem, I can still start the car and it's a simple swapout, under warranty or otherwise. But like I said, never had a problem :D

Yes, I know I've once more got a relatively expensive car on the drive once again, but the missus threatened me to get something more reliable. Hence, the Puma. :D :D
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

I do around 200 miles per week and have the Rombat battery. Whilst it goes to sleep to save battery every day, I've not had any electrical or starting issues yet.

It will be interesting to see how it copes with a cold winter.

I thought that more recent models had Varta batteries, which seem to be the solutiin to the problem.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's given us some comfort to now stay with the order. We'll just have to see how it goes when we get the car, hopefully in April 22, but that's another issue altogether after reading the posts on build and delivery dates?🤔
Ordered on 12 Nov 21