Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

mr2gti wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:22 pm
cianpars wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:17 pm
mr2gti wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:27 am Missus's car was due to go in tomorrow to have crap battery and power saving issues investigated - but cancelled by the dealer as a "Bolt Issue" has come to light and a mass recall is being planned as a repair. They became a little cryptic on the phone but more to follow next week.
Do you know any more about this, e.g. whether it applies to all Pumas and which bolt it might refer to?

If mine needs to go back for anything, I might speak with them about the battery. Mine was built in March 21 and I thought they had switched from the Rombat to the Varta by then, but mine has a Rombat and goes to sleep every day.
Wont know anything till next week when I go digging. I'm presuming it's something to do with a bolt that has some sort of earthing task. Her's is a Rombat too - and it behaved for a few days after a day on a trickle charger.
I was checking through a list of other recalls and have seen some related to a bolt chaffing wiring, so it might possibly be an issue like that, I suppose.

Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Wow I’m amazed at how big this thread has got since I first posted in January on page 1. It seems we have gone through every theory possible then come back to the beginning again. There is clearly a problem with some room at batteries but it does seem to be more prevalent on the early pumas, think mine was a feb 2020 build that then sat somewhere until July when lockdown ended which not good for a battery especially if they were sitting in Romania. My battery was definitely knackered and replaced by varta but I now believe 12v battery is a symptom not root cause because starting to get similar problems with new varta.
Been through all the hoops others have been through but recently I was able to speak to the original case office who arranged the replacement this January so he was clued up on all the history. I did mention getting legal advice and sale of goods act which might have helped😂

He did refer the problem to his technical department who came back last week to say they had a software update to fix the problem. Their message to the dealer said roughly “ my car currently has the AB version of the software and it needs to be updated to the AC version which should fix the KOL problem” while I have no idea what these acronyms mean it is encouraging that Ford central have at last acknowledged a problem exists and that there is apparently a fix. Time will tell, it is going in for the update next week. I’ll let you know if we at long last have a real solution
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Sounds promising. Keep us informed.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

KOL problem.....Key Opinion Leaders.....Usually people who have an expert knowledge of the problem and can influence others....
I'm guessing they mean you/us as we are discussing it online and the forum is now the go to place for those with problems...Probably not the best use of KOL by the tech department.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Re the earthing theory, here’s a snippet from my first post where I suffered a charging system error. There could be something to it as (fortunately) I’ve had no issues at all since they sorted it.
NeilS wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:46 pm A few hours later I got a call to collect it, all fixed. Apparently they found an earthing fault on one of the headlamps which was checked, cleaned and reconnected. I have no idea if I was fobbed off or if it was genuine. Either way, it’s now on the service record so if it happens again I can at least argue the case that this earthing problem may not have been the cause but just a coincidence.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

KOL is key off load. It seems updating the software on one of the modules from AB to AC has fixed a problem.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Chocky wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:29 pm KOL is key off load. It seems updating the software on one of the modules from AB to AC has fixed a problem.
Thanks, didn't think mine made any sense coming from CS.... :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Tell me guys (sorry if I have missed out on the lastest situation) .
But having had my ST in with Ford for two days a month or so previous. For software updates and a battery re-charge. All appeared to be fine, well sort of! I no longer get any messages on my phone App telling me car is in sleep mode and nor do I find keyless entry hibited on the passenger door. + Never use stop/start .
But having only recently driven a 500mile trip I was astonished to find that Sync (music on) engine off, shut down after just 60sec's to conserve battery. After which Sync refused to restart unless I ran the engine.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:19 pm Tell me guys (sorry if I have missed out on the lastest situation) .
But having had my ST in with Ford for two days a month or so previous. For software updates and a battery re-charge. All appeared to be fine, well sort of! I no longer get any messages on my phone App telling me car is in sleep mode and nor do I find keyless entry hibited on the passenger door. + Never use stop/start .
But having only recently driven a 500mile trip I was astonished to find that Sync (music on) engine off, shut down after just 60sec's to conserve battery. After which Sync refused to restart unless I ran the engine.
Why battery have you got? Rombat or Varta?

Also am I correct in assuming the ST is not Hybrid?
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Stoopo wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Rays1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:19 pm Tell me guys (sorry if I have missed out on the lastest situation) .
Why battery have you got? Rombat or Varta?

Also am I correct in assuming the ST is not Hybrid?
The ST is not a Hybrid... Rombat battery unfortunately.. Very early Build ST Nov 2020.
That said apart from the annoying radio/sync shut down issue, never had an engine start problem.