Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

We've known from fairly early on that the factory fitted rombat 12v batteries are 'iffy'.

Most owners on here that have had issues have had their 12v battery replaced with a Varta manufactured type. I haven't read of any issues from these owners since.

You could bite the bullet and purchase a new battery or have your existing battery condition checked by a third party.

My puma has a rombat. I had deep sleep warnings during lockdown 1.0, I did not use my car for weeks at a time. Since this lockdown I have had no further issues nor warnings. May be I've been lucky and have a decent battery.

With regards to the start/stop warning I also had the 'deptess clutch to start' warning. I learnt not to coast with the clutch dipped at any time. I have also set the speed threshold to low and when in busy traffic I knock the start/stop off.

Perhaps you could copy and print all of the posts pertaining to battery issues on this forum and present them to your dealer who claims they haven't heard of this issue before.

Best of luck to you both.

Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Thanks for that. Took a look at my battery this morning and have couple of questions.
1. How do you know if it’s a rombat. Doesn’t have name on it like picture but does have rom at the bottom left and some word beginning with ‘h’?
2. Assume the battery I can see is the 12v but everyone is talking about a second 48 volt battery where does that hide, is that also rombat and does that have similar problems?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hunbob wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am Thanks for that. Took a look at my battery this morning and have couple of questions.
1. How do you know if it’s a rombat. Doesn’t have name on it like picture but does have rom at the bottom left and some word beginning with ‘h’?
2. Assume the battery I can see is the 12v but everyone is talking about a second 48 volt battery where does that hide, is that also rombat and does that have similar problems?
The 48v battery is the one that is recharged when braking and coasting etc it depends on when your car was built as to it's whereabouts, I think under the front seats now. It isn't affected by the problem with the 12v battery
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Picked it up July so assume built sometime between March and July. Done some digging and see that there was a recall in August for pumas built between those dates something to do with torque settings on battery connections, might be red herring. I understand how the 48v recharges but not how the 12v does given there is no alternator on puma just this combined starter/ generator thing. What is also unclear, even it seems to the ford service staff I have spoken too is which battery does what and how they interconnect for example if the 48v isn’t getting enough charge because you dont coast and brake enough does it steal power from the 12v to compensate and is that what drains it so quickly? The more you find out the more confusing it becomes😂
alanp

Post by alanp »

I have had this on mine, I initially thought it was the dash cam left in park mode, but it isn’t, I haven’t had the battery message for a bit now but if it comes on I trickle charge it, I tried to explain to my dealer about the rombat battery, but it was met with blank stares and indifference, which about sums Ford dealers up unfortunately
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hunbob wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:39 pm Picked it up July so assume built sometime between March and July. Done some digging and see that there was a recall in August for pumas built between those dates something to do with torque settings on battery connections, might be red herring. I understand how the 48v recharges but not how the 12v does given there is no alternator on puma just this combined starter/ generator thing. What is also unclear, even it seems to the ford service staff I have spoken too is which battery does what and how they interconnect for example if the 48v isn’t getting enough charge because you dont coast and brake enough does it steal power from the 12v to compensate and is that what drains it so quickly? The more you find out the more confusing it becomes😂
The 48v charges the 12v basically.

Untitled.png

https://x-engineer.org/automotive-engin ... hitecture/

The consensus on here and other forums is that the Rombat 12v batteries aren't up to the job. But, I'm not so sure as other models (Kuga) have had the problem and they aren't Romanian built AFAIK.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Further to Sparks' post. This might give you some more info regarding the 48v system.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... echnology/
Mike

Post by Mike »

Since you do short runs do you leave stop/start switched on?
One way to check if you have a drain is switch car off and key out of the ignition, open a window on the car and leave unlocked , disconnect neg lead and connect a meter from the batt terminal to the neg cable( neg meter lead onto battery), the reading in mA needs to be as low as possible something like 20 or 30, if it is say over 50 I suspect you have a drain on the battery.

Battery check, a good battery should be approx 12.6 v when everything is off, approx 12.2 means battery is approx 50% charged , below 12 and the battery is flat and needs charging,
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Start/Stop won't activate if there is too much electrical demand or Insufficient charge.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »