Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

I have the Rombat battery and after one week of ownership I’m getting system shutting down messages.
Mean Green Puma ST performance.

Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

I’ve been looking around the internet for a suitable replacement battery but haven’t had much luck. I’ve found 60Ah/600A start/ stop batteries but I don’t know if they will physically fit. Also there seems to be two choices, AGM and EFB. Mine is the Rombat EFB and I guess the AGM battery won’t be suitable. Can anyone advise?
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

My replacement Varta is still only showing 11.8/9v after standing a while but I’ve not had the sleep issue since I got it (well briefly on the first morning after but nothing since).

I’m leaning towards a generator fault to be honest.

It’s been on two weeks now so it’s a case of wait and see as far as the dealership is concerned.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

Tommo56 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am Has anyone been able to measure the current consumption when the car is locked up? I've no idea about electronics really but it must be drawing a bit of current, what with the car alarm and its sensors (internal and lift?), the gubbins that monitors for a remote engine start up via the app, etc? Not sure what else might be drawing on the 12v battery .
Yes, I put a clamp meter on the negative battery cable. Initially the current draw was about 3.5A and then, after a few minutes, dropped to 1.3A which I think is too much. It might be going lower after a while. To me it’s obvious the battery is bad as it does not hold a charge. The voltage in the morning is 12.03V which is very low. If this were just a flat battery, on start up the battery voltage would initially jump a little and then climb steadily to 14.7V. What happens is the voltage jumps immediately to 14.7V. Clearly the battery is bad but the question is why has the battery gone bad? Was the battery faulty or has the BMS not managed the battery properly?
I think I will be changing the Rombat for a different make and it the problem returns, it has to be the BMS or a mismanaged parasitic load.
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

Sparks wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:57 am
pummy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am Traded mine in for new automatic Honda hybrid with no outlay. Too many gadgets on Puma first edition pack, putting into garage with bulging front wings (trying to look like a Porsche) triggering lights and noise, on country hills lacked power ☹️ and the bloody battery messages all the time. Honda fits in garage better with minimum light show on dash 😃.
Seems the problem was probably between the seat and steering wheel rather than the car.... :D
LOL! Pummy replaced the seat and steering wheel and the problem went away so.......
Kemills1

Post by Kemills1 »

Stoopo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:44 am My replacement Varta is still only showing 11.8/9v after standing a while but I’ve not had the sleep issue since I got it (well briefly on the first morning after but nothing since).

It’s been on two weeks now so it’s a case of wait and see as far as the dealership is concerned.
I’m not so sure about it being a generator problem. I’ve just taken a look at mine. With the engine running, the ETM battery voltage was 11.6V but measuring the actual battery voltage at the terminals, it was 14.6V. As someone suggested, I switched on a heavy load (heated screens) and the ETM voltage went up to 14.1V. Battery voltage and charge current stayed the same. Checked battery terminals and all seemed ok.
So I’ve no idea what is happening.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Kemills1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:14 pm
Stoopo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:44 am My replacement Varta is still only showing 11.8/9v after standing a while but I’ve not had the sleep issue since I got it (well briefly on the first morning after but nothing since).

I’m not so sure about it being a generator problem. I’ve just taken a look at mine. With the engine running, the ETM battery voltage was 11.6V but measuring the actual battery voltage at the terminals, it was 14.6V. As someone suggested, I switched on a heavy load (heated screens) and the ETM voltage went up to 14.1V. Battery voltage and charge current stayed the same. Checked battery terminals and all seemed ok.
So I’ve no idea what is happening.
I think that’s the problem - nobody knows what’s happening - not even Ford.

They replaced my battery and checked and updated every module they could. They found nothing wrong but said I could keep the Varta battery anyway (nice of them😉).

I’m not checking so much now but have noticed I get a higher ETM reading after short trips around town. Maybe the extra load?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Admin..........Any chance of merging all the battery threads and making a sticky? We seem to ruminate the problem a lot. :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Sparks wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:34 pm Admin..........Any chance of merging all the battery threads and making a sticky? We seem to ruminate the problem a lot. :D
I was thinking the same.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Leave it with me…..my first Mod job in the morning 👍🏻

I’ll try and merge them all together - it may throw a few posts out of sync due to their posting dates but at least everything will (hopefully) be in the one place.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,