Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
DesertIslandBlue

Post by DesertIslandBlue »

Peculiarly, I've found driving in a manner so that the regen of the 48v battery is performed often on a journey seems to improve the 12v battery performance?
ST Line X mHEV 125 Desert Island Blue DAP+CP+HFPT

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

This anecdotal evidence is great but difficult to assemble a conclusion from. If it bothers you, get one of the plug-in cigarette voltage meters and monitor the voltage during your long drives. Any reading below 13 ish volts and the 12 volt battery is heading towards a deplete condition.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Chocky wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:16 pm This anecdotal evidence is great but difficult to assemble a conclusion from. If it bothers you, get one of the plug-in cigarette voltage meters and monitor the voltage during your long drives. Any reading below 13 ish volts and the 12 volt battery is heading towards a deplete condition.
Good idea. The tech guy told me not to take much notice of the app when it says deep sleep. Not sure that helps. One thing that does happen is all the sensors change tone and are much quieter when the battery is low.

I think I’ll but a plug in monitor.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
paulm606

Post by paulm606 »

I purchased the vehicle in March 2022. No problems whatsoever until I drove 350 miles to Cornwall in July this year. I got the dreaded deep sleep message on the app. For info, I had driven in Sports mode for the final 100 miles of the journey. Since then I have only occasionally had the deep sleep message with no other issues.
I normally only use the car about 2-3 times a week, but make sure I drive for at least 30 mins at a time.
This afternoon, I was out on my driveway and suddenly heard a strange series of deep thud noises coming from inside the car every 5 seconds or so. I then tried to unlock the vehicle using the remote key. The car was totally dead and I had to gain entry using the manual key blade. I called the AA who did several checks and confirmed that the Rombat battery was charging fine but was being drained possibly by the vehicles “body control unit”. All the diagnostic tests showed no problems.
As the car is still under warranty, I will be talking to Fords on Monday to book the car in for investigation.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Agate Black 2021
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

paulm606 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:58 pm I purchased the vehicle in March 2022. No problems whatsoever until I drove 350 miles to Cornwall in July this year. I got the dreaded deep sleep message on the app. For info, I had driven in Sports mode for the final 100 miles of the journey. Since then I have only occasionally had the deep sleep message with no other issues.
I normally only use the car about 2-3 times a week, but make sure I drive for at least 30 mins at a time.
This afternoon, I was out on my driveway and suddenly heard a strange series of deep thud noises coming from inside the car every 5 seconds or so. I then tried to unlock the vehicle using the remote key. The car was totally dead and I had to gain entry using the manual key blade. I called the AA who did several checks and confirmed that the Rombat battery was charging fine but was being drained possibly by the vehicles “body control unit”. All the diagnostic tests showed no problems.
As the car is still under warranty, I will be talking to Fords on Monday to book the car in for investigation.
When mine had the problem, the dealer did some software update and reconditioned my battery. This was about 18 months ago and I haven't had any problems since. Mine is a Rombat.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
paulm606

Post by paulm606 »

Thanks for the info, Sparks.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I had the software updates last year then a new Varta fitted. It was fine over the winter but reared its head again after a long run and then being parked up for 48 hours. This happened again after a similar long run.

As we were going away for six weeks in May/June I asked the dealership to put the battery on charge for 24hours as I was worried about our return at 4am. They did this and the car went into deep sleep after 3 weeks parked up. Then it was moved by the car park people and was fine until we returned. No issue starting.

Just been away for two weeks. No issues on return. However on return we had both heated seats on. I had the heated wheel on a few miles and the air con was set at 22 - so lets see how things are later 😏

Drive from York to Liverpool and back was a dream to be honest. M62 is best between 2am and 6am 😏
paulm606

Post by paulm606 »

I recently had the software update but the dealer did not replace the Rombat battery and just reconditioned it. Everything was fine for 10 days until the dreaded “deep sleep” messages appeared again (always after I’ve used the vehicle). Car is booked back in at the dealers again later this week.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I bought a plug in voltage meter for my 12v socket. Driving around it shows about 14.7v. Parked up just after a drive it drops to about 12.7. Left overnight it shows about 11.8v.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Sounds about right to me. Maybe Chocky will be along to confirm.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.