Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
pummy

Post by pummy »

Traded mine in for new automatic Honda hybrid with no outlay. Too many gadgets on Puma first edition pack, putting into garage with bulging front wings (trying to look like a Porsche) triggering lights and noise, on country hills lacked power ☹️ and the bloody battery messages all the time. Honda fits in garage better with minimum light show on dash 😃.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

pummy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am Traded mine in for new automatic Honda hybrid with no outlay. Too many gadgets on Puma first edition pack, putting into garage with bulging front wings (trying to look like a Porsche) triggering lights and noise, on country hills lacked power ☹️ and the bloody battery messages all the time. Honda fits in garage better with minimum light show on dash 😃.
Seems the problem was probably between the seat and steering wheel rather than the car.... :D
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

pummy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 am Traded mine in for new automatic Honda hybrid with no outlay. Too many gadgets on Puma first edition pack, putting into garage with bulging front wings (trying to look like a Porsche) triggering lights and noise, on country hills lacked power ☹️ and the bloody battery messages all the time. Honda fits in garage better with minimum light show on dash 😃.
Lack of power is certainly not something my 155 suffers from. In fact it’s scary at times.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Parabellum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 pm I know this is going to sound bonkers but I found my fix to the issue is actually to put more strain on the electronics while driving, when the blowers are off my charge state sits around 12.3v with the car running, which trickle charges the battery, when I turn the radio up or the air con on, it'll activate the mild hybrid system for accessory power and the voltage will go up to 14.7 while driving, I've not had any issues with the sleep notifications since, it's the "alternator / hybrid motor" not kicking in because there is a lack of drain so it just allows the battery to discharge.
You may well be on to something there. That might partly explain why some people have had problems and others haven't, even with similar build dates.
Touch wood, I haven't experienced this problem yet :D . My car is a January 21 build fitted with a Rombat battery and was registered at the end of July.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Stoopo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:40 pm
Lack of power is certainly not something my 155 suffers from. In fact it’s scary at times.
These cars are quicker in the real world than the headline acceleration figures would suggest. Short gearing in 2nd and 3rd makes for good in-gear acceleration but means that there are two gear changes on the way to 60 / 62 mph. The one time I drove foot to the floor in 2nd I could feel the front tyres squirming.
Curryhouse

Post by Curryhouse »

Sparks wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:57 am
Seems the problem was probably between the seat and steering wheel rather than the car.... :D
Times like this is when we need a Like button.
Rossberg

Post by Rossberg »

MagneticGrey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:12 pm
Parabellum wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 pm I know this is going to sound bonkers but I found my fix to the issue is actually to put more strain on the electronics while driving, when the blowers are off my charge state sits around 12.3v with the car running, which trickle charges the battery, when I turn the radio up or the air con on, it'll activate the mild hybrid system for accessory power and the voltage will go up to 14.7 while driving, I've not had any issues with the sleep notifications since, it's the "alternator / hybrid motor" not kicking in because there is a lack of drain so it just allows the battery to discharge.
You may well be on to something there. That might partly explain why some people have had problems and others haven't, even with similar build dates.
Touch wood, I haven't experienced this problem yet :D . My car is a January 21 build fitted with a Rombat battery and was registered at the end of July.
I remember watching a youtube video from a Ford tech whose service department was inundated with calls during lockdown with battery problems. He simply advised driving around putting a load on the battery by switching on the aircon/heater or vehicle lights to charge up the battery. I'll post the video if I can find it again. So not bonkers at all!
Edit: found the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsT70z8qwcI

It was to do with the start/stop system not working and he talks about the alternator not charging the battery, perhaps the same principle applies to the hybrid Puma?
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

Rossberg wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:18 pm
MagneticGrey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:12 pm
I remember watching a youtube video from a Ford tech whose service department was inundated with calls during lockdown with battery problems. He simply advised driving around putting a load on the battery by switching on the aircon/heater or vehicle lights to charge up the battery. I'll post the video if I can find it again. So not bonkers at all!
Edit: found the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsT70z8qwcI

It was to do with the start/stop system not working and he talks about the alternator not charging the battery, perhaps the same principle applies to the hybrid Puma?
Thanks for posting the link; the video seems to back up Parabellum's argument. Although the 12V battery isn't used for stop / start in the MHEV Pumas, I expect that the principle still applies in terms of maintaining the 12V battery charge level.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Interesting. I’m finding the charge is higher after shorter journeys at the moment. A few round town trips, no more than 5 miles and the battery is showing higher than it is after long runs.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
shesh666

Post by shesh666 »

Stoopo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:54 pm 5A8424D7-1177-41CF-9896-36C61675EB9C.png

Not the best start 🙈
I had this problem yesterday, ended up with 12 charging fault alert. Had to jump start the start and charge enough to get to dealership. Having a new generator installed tomorrow
Ford Puma ST-LineX 155 MHeV - Desert Island Blue.