Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Car going great now just crying out for a decent run which hopefully it will get in the next few weeks. What is interesting is that loads of things seem to be working better since the new battery has been fitted. The max option for clearing the windscreen actually sounds like it is MAX, warms up much quicker and does the job it says on the tin clearing the window quickly and amazingly the auto boot opening with the foot seems to work every time. Coincidence?

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Hunbob, can you confirm it is a Varta battery and what is the amp hour capacity and also is the physical size the same.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Sorry taken so long to reply. Yes it is a varta, haven’t looked but guess standard battery size. Everything working well now apart from a weird glitch I had last week. Each time I slowed down engine was going into the auto stop start that requires you to put car into neutral to restart. Really don’t understand that one or what circumstances it gets triggered but it certainly should not shut off engine while you are crawling in queue of traffic. Also had messages saying charging system needs service. Took it straight in concerned that another battery fault but battery fine but error codes present. Hasn’t done it again but the alternative stop start seems to cut in now and again quite randomly. They plugged it in to their diagnostic computer today and reset everything and said no further error codes but couldn’t say what had gone wrong before. Unfortunately I just think the puma tries to be too clever for its own good but like most computers switching off and back on can resolve the problem at least short term. Nice drive though.

If anyone can explain to me why the car seems to have 2 stop/start systems, one that is seamless and just leaves the engine running if not got power to stop/start and the other which shuts the engine off and requires you to put car in neutral before engine will restart and is quite honestly dangerous and pointless. I would like to disable the second option can I do it by adjusting the coasting setting from low to high or would that only make it cut in at a higher speed?
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Your cars not working right. When I drive up to my garage door the engine auto stops. I leave the ignition alone and get out the car to open the garage door. When I get back in, depress the clutch, select 1st, it pops up 'select neutral to start'. Pop back to neutral, car restarts ok. I've never had it in traffic and only ever after exiting the car. To me it's like a driver present check they are doing.

Dealers clearing error codes without full and proper analysis is just poor.
alanp

Post by alanp »

Mine does this without me getting out of the car, i coast up to my garage and, as the door is opening I’m waiting with the stop start engaged, when I depress the clutch I get the select neutral message, now I thought it was I was coasting up to the garage door with my foot on the clutch, but it doesn’t matter if the clutch is in or not, I still get the message, I’ve taken to either, turning the s/s off, or using sport mode, it’s not 5he end of the world but annoying
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

You must be doing something different as you approach the garage. Do you take the seat belt off early or something?
alanp

Post by alanp »

Nope, seatbelt left on
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

Hi I put up a post a few weeks back re the ‘going to sleep to preserve battery ‘ message. I contacted Ford Customer Service to be told I had to take the car back to dealership . I stay on the Isle of Arran and dealership is a ferry crossing and sixty mile journey away. So I put the car into our local garage for an overnight charge and got it back a week ago today with fully charged batteries. 7 days later the message is back, I am so sick of this and to be perfectly honest I now hate this pile of junk. I’ll phone the dealership tomorrow to get them to have a look at it but what I need to know is- has anyone who has had this problem had it resolved and rectified by Ford? I know some people have had a Varta 12v battery fitted- I really need to know did that solve the problem. I would so appreciate any updates anyone has- meanwhile PUMA FOR SALE, 1 Lady Owner who knows a pig in a poke when she sees one 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

There are some module updates. Ask for them, think it may be the body control module but other owners on the forum are more technically minded than me so hopefully someone else will comment. Another "fix" could be ditch the app if that's where the message is coming from. The car will still start.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Linda Turnef

Post by Linda Turnef »

Rizmo the car always started but it closed down the radio if car was stationary, the tailgate took forever to open and close the audible alarms changed tone and became very quiet the door would only open with key fob etc etc, it’s not the app that’s at fault here