Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm I've been out of action for the past 7 weeks (Covid) and Puma has been sat gathering snow, had one deep sleep alert on the car, just gone out and started the car first time.
Hope you're on the mend and doing ok

Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Wdf76 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:24 pm
Spearmint wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm I've been out of action for the past 7 weeks (Covid) and Puma has been sat gathering snow, had one deep sleep alert on the car, just gone out and started the car first time.
Hope you're on the mend and doing ok
Thank you! Much better than I was, probably at 90% now.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Cheers wdf my mistake was not realising the thread had gone to multiple pages so hadn’t read any of the comments after the wiring diagram so thought my previous post hadn’t worked. I know better now.

They have now referred the problem to Ford technical although still won’t admit the battery is faulty as computer doesn’t say it is. Ford service nowadays are very much if the computer doesn’t say there is a fault then they are unable to switch on common sense. I had a focus where 3 of the four bolts holding the exhaust to the engine had fallen out but the computer said everything was ok. They sent me away twice with the car kangaroo hopping up the road until a mechanic thought to try that old faithful test of blipping the throttle😂 They have ordered a new battery although they don’t know what the make is but assume they won’t be sourcing from Romania.

I have now made it clear to them that I won’t be accepting the car back until they change the battery or identify some other valid reason why a battery will lose 75% of its charge overnight and saying that it hadn’t been driven far enough not an acceptable excuse😂 time to start quoting the good old sale of goods act, fit for purpose, reasonable durability etc
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm I've been out of action for the past 7 weeks (Covid) and Puma has been sat gathering snow, had one deep sleep alert on the car, just gone out and started the car first time, Rombat battery.
Hi, Sympathies, glad you made it through....I'm just recovering myself, went out this morning for the first time in two weeks and started the car without a problem. Despite the fact that it's been in 'Deep Sleep' mode for all that time.
I'm going to make another appointment at the dealers for them to check it out, had to cancel the last when I got the bug. Fine that it started, but, once that trust has gone....................
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Another demonstration of poor dealer response to Hunbob's recurring problem. It's disheartening to the point where dealer visits are not looked forward to for any reason in regard to problems, especially ones of the intermittent variety.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Rizmo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:07 pm Another demonstration of poor dealer response to Hunbob's recurring problem. It's disheartening to the point where dealer visits are not looked forward to for any reason in regard to problems, especially ones of the intermittent variety.
I had a long discussion with the dealer over the battery issues, and although they would be happy to change any battery that wasn’t up to scratch, Ford will only refund them the cost if it doesn’t pass Fords set tests. I think this is Ford trying their hardest not to pay out on obvious warranty issues, not the dealers.
With the huge choice of cars out there, I don’t believe ford are doing themselves any favours with this attitude.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Agree it is a money issue with the dealers and Ford but in this case no one has any doubt it is a dud battery so it wouldn’t hurt the dealers to trust their own common sense.

The situation with mine is that they have a new battery, a varta, but they won’t put it in until Ford say so and apparently they have had communication errors all day with Ford technical so have been unable to send the case notes. Clearly phones don’t work. When I asked how much longer they said could be a couple of days which could be next week given it is Friday tomorrow. That would make it over a week to replace a battery that everyone knows is faulty. It could be a sketch from little Britain.

Apparently the service manager could approve the battery replacement without confirmation from Ford technical but that would be at my risk as they then wouldn’t be following procedure. Tomorrow I will tell them to put the new battery in and will pay for it myself if Ford don’t approve it as warranty. Must admit I am now getting very angry that a company that has happily taken over fifty grand of my money put the slight possibility that they might have to pay for the battery themselves above getting their loyal customers back on the road.

They even suggested that changing the battery might require a software update which is a new one. Surely if it did they should know can’t be the first Ford battery they have ever replaced but I guess extremely unlikely to be true.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

You buy the car from the dealer, not Ford. Your contract is with them, unless you have a Ford credit plan. It's easy for the dealer to sit behind the warranty rules which keeps them safe from bearing any costs themselves and then being denied a claim through Ford. It's all very unpleasant for the owner of a new vehicle who only wants his car to be reliable and not spend days at the dealers while they wrangle with Ford as to who bears the cost which is probably well south of £50 in this case. Definitely leaves a bad taste.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
alanp

Post by alanp »

It seems that , in a few years there’ll be plenty of pumas for sale, as disgruntled owners trade them for something else
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Don't pay for the replacement battery. The dealer does not require Ford's approval to perform replacements. As Rizmo says, it's the dealer dragging their heals here.

You'll have to milk the service manager for what modules need updating for a 12V battery swap because that smells like bull crap to me.