Questions

All Ford Puma related discussions
Mike

Post by Mike »

NeilS wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:31 pm
Mike wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:26 pm OK. Who is the expert on stone chips, just took car out for a spin and got a stone chip 😡
Gutted for you mate.

How bad and where is it?
a couple of inches back from the front edge of the bonnet and stands out especially with it being black, picking some shopping up ( normally take my van) thought would come the long way home to give it a run and some clever person cut across the hatching and sprayed dust etc in the air so i suspect it happened then.
Cheers guys for all the help and will look at the correct thread
have done some in the past on other cars with varying degrees of success and failure, will get some touch up and will also look at good old you tube along with the advice on the forum.

It was going to happen and probably will again but i thought i might have had more the 340 miles on the clock so a little annoyed.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:41 pm Syringe to fill the chip with a mix of touch up and clear coat blended. Works a treat for me. Cure with our lasses hair dryer and a quick spot polish with meguairs ultimate compound.
Do you wet sand before polishing or just slowly fill the chip allow to dry and then polish ?
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

No pal. I draw a line a wet sanding, it scares me a bit. I clean the chip out with i.p.a on a cotton bud and then drip tiny amounts of paint in in layers. Think of it as blobbing not painting.

It's never 100%, but acceptable to me. I've been lucky with a few and you've really got to look to notice them. If the rest of your car is clean and shiny people tend to see the big picture.

Any doubts and you want a mint finish get a pro on it. If you're willing to give it a go, take your time and you might just surprise yourself. Take some before and after pics. Good luck.... 👍
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Yes, I started the thread on chips. I touched it in without making a mess, but because the chip causes an indent - maybe only a quarter of a mm - it shows, even when painted. Because the undercoat was white :roll: it is less obvious, but still obvious. However, it may be that my eye is drawn to it, knowing it is there.

ChipsAway wanted about £230 for an invisible repair. You can be assured if I forked out the same panel would be scratched the day after.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

A local car spray expert told me to use a tooth pick for small touch ups and don't worry about overloading. It's scary enough to make me fork out when necessary. Not just a lack of confidence more a lack of experience.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

My car seems to attract all the wrong type of attention. You can't have anything nice these days.

A new windscreen due to something flying off a Range Rover.
A puncture caused by a nail, (at least the TPMS in FordPass works).
Part of the grill is now missing, (more shit off the roads for a guess).

How bad is the paint chip compared to the below. £200+ that's gonna cost to fix. See how much my OCD holds up :(

IMG_0228.JPG

https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

sinlessUK wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:00 am My car seems to attract all the wrong type of attention. You can't have anything nice these days.

A new windscreen due to something flying off a Range Rover.
A puncture caused by a nail, (at least the TPMS in FordPass works).
Part of the grill is now missing, (more shit off the roads for a guess).

How bad is the paint chip compared to the below. £200+ that's gonna cost to fix. See how much my OCD holds up :(
Mate that's really sh*tty luck. They say things happen in 3's if you believe all that. I've learnt to live with stuff as I've aged. With poorly behaved drivers and an even poorer road network it's always gonna happen. I'm not throwing money at damage anymore.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

I feel sick just looking.

If there is such a thing as taking a positive away, it may be easier to change the grill then to repair and respray the front section if it had been a few mm higher. Plus, it is something you could get away with given the location and colour (if you can stomach leaving it?)
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Feel for you, they say they come in threes so you should be done now....
That must have been some whack to chip the grill like that, or, the grill is a bit delicate.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Bad luck man , i hope it's all downhill from here
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....