Engine torque

All Ford Puma related discussions
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Although my Puma 125 is responsive and quite a punchy little motor it needs plenty of gear changing. For instance it does not like 30 mph in fourth gear, it doesn't respond well to less than 2000 revs. I wonder if the 155 is any better regarding low down grunt.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Do you have mhev? I have the 155 hybrid and it gets going quite well even from a high gear low rpm scenario. Sometimes I'm quite surprised how well it will lug up a hill even when your convinced you'll need a lower gear.

Sport mode sharpens up the throttle response nicely and I like to see the little turbo symbol with double arrows telling me the electric generator is giving me all it's assistance.

It'll pull along quite happily in a 30mph zone in 5th although it's not really an appropriate gear for those situations.

I'm quite happy with the Pumas stock performance and don't see a need for remapping or tuning boxes.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yes, the 125 is a little lacking on low end torque, Now I'm used to it though, it's not a problem I notice now as I'm changing gear to suit the Puma without thinking.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Tezza66

Post by Tezza66 »

I have the same model with the 125 engine and Mhev and my experience is exactly the same. In 4th at 30 - 35 the slightest incline and I find I’m changing down to 3rd. I previously had a Focus which I thought was the same engine and you could pretty much drive it in 5th at those speeds and accelerate if you needed to. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy driving the Puma but I do wish it didn’t require so much changing up and down around town at speeds below 35. I bought mine second hand ex demo and the 125 was pretty much all that were available, but if I was buying new I would definitely have gone for the 155 bhp model.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

yes Wdf76 my Puma has mhev. I'll try the sport mode again which I've only used once on a motorway. Next time round I would go for the 155 but by then I would imagine there will be an all electric variant, then it's a whole new ball game. Depends on the price of course.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Rizmo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:06 pm I'll try the sport mode again which I've only used once on a motorway.
Sport mode best used round town and on b roads etc, I think. Once selected, press the start/stop button once to reactivate.

If you look here; https://www.automobile-catalog.com/mode ... _2gen.html you'll see that the 125ps engine makes peak torque from 1500rpm where the 155ps engine peaks from 2100. If these figures are correct then I should be the one shifting down to get going.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

If I use intelligent cruise control on eco and follow gear prompts, it’ll have me in 5th at 35 accelerating to 55 before asking for 6th, doesn’t struggle with 155 horses.
Mazda MX-30
First Edition
Ceramic