Manual or automatic

All Ford Puma related discussions
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I'm guessing you drove the st line with 17" rims. I have 18" rims and find the ride quite soft especially with 50 profile tyres fitted. I have come from 6 years of Ford performance cars. The owners of piumas with 19" rims fitted haven't complained of harsh ride issues. It's a horses for courses issue.

Have you test driven anything else? CX-30 XC-40 etc.

microbe

Post by microbe »

Wdf76 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:00 pm I'm guessing you drove the st line with 17" rims. I have 18" rims and find the ride quite soft especially with 50 profile tyres fitted. I have come from 6 years of Ford performance cars. The owners of piumas with 19" rims fitted haven't complained of harsh ride issues. It's a horses for courses issue.

Have you test driven anything else? CX-30 XC-40 etc.
I am hoping that the deeper profile tyres on the Vignale make the ride better. I haven't test driven anything else as this was a rather quick development. I received an email from Porsche asking if I wanted to sell and rather than ignore as usual I responded positively and got an offer of 55% of original cost after 4 years of ownership. We still need 2 cars so I went to the only local car showroom to see what was available and really liked the Puma which to my eyes from certain angles looked a little Porsche Macan like. I may end up keeping the Macan though if I cannot get the ride I like
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

If in your position I think I'd keep the Macan. A 55% residual after 4 years is very good. I guess the issue for you is running costs for the Porsche going forward.

Although the puma is a much cheaper car we know that the biggest cost in motoring is depreciation.

Wish you well with your dilemma.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm
Sparks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm Changing into 'Sports Mode' doesn't change the suspension set up, only the performance..
I think there's an echo in here.... 😁🀣😁
:lol: :lol: Sorry, I was in the process of replying when I answered my phone.....Should have refreshed before finishing... :oops: :oops:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

microbe wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm
Sparks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm Changing into 'Sports Mode' doesn't change the suspension set up, only the performance..
That is rather worrying as the Vignale only comes with 18"wheels and the car we drove had 17" I think. The sales rep implied that the suspension could be changed to a softer setting.
Sales reps can't be relied on to have any knowledge of the product. I'd researched mine before going to the dealer and had to tell the rep about half of the things it does....
You would be better off test driving the Titanium automatic....You would get a softer ride and a better looking car.... ;) :)
microbe

Post by microbe »

Sparks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:52 pm
microbe wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm
That is rather worrying as the Vignale only comes with 18"wheels and the car we drove had 17" I think. The sales rep implied that the suspension could be changed to a softer setting.
Sales reps can't be relied on to have any knowledge of the product. I'd researched mine before going to the dealer and had to tell the rep about half of the things it does....
You would be better off test driving the Titanium automatic....You would get a softer ride and a better looking car.... ;) :)
But it would have the black bolt on wheel arches which my wife and I both hate
microbe

Post by microbe »

I should also have said that rather surprisingly my Ford dealer offered to buy my Porsche for Β£250 more than the dealer offered so they would actually give me money to buy the Puma
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

I can only echo what paulv said. My wife can only drive an auto, so it was a no-brainer anyway. The last car used the VW DSG gearbox, and I was keen to have something using similar tech rather than a torque converter. I see absolutely no problem with the auto, and in fact it offers some advantages over the manual in terms of available features. As Paul said, you can drive it in manual mode with paddles a la F1. You can never change gear as fast in a manual compared to the few milliseconds the auto box changes in, and it is seven speed.

I am not sure where you are, but if you are anywhere near the Chichester area you are welcome to come and take a look if you can't get a ride in the dealer.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
microbe

Post by microbe »

Well I have gone and done it. A new Puma ST LINE X is now on order for me.

I had another drive in the car at the various settings as the rep confirmed that suspension settings are changed as well as engine settings with the mode button. The ride was less jarry in normal mode (and without my wife alongside me :D ) and I was happy with the automatic gear change.

I added comfort pack, driver assistance pack, spare wheel and the Ford dashcam.

I prefer the outside styling of the LINE X over the Vignale, don't like keyless entry and don't need Fixed LED headlights. I would have liked the sensico wrapped instrument cluster but that was just about the only thing I would have liked that I cannot get. Total cost was around Β£600 less than the Vignale.

Delivery is scheduled for Christmas week
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I think the sales rep lied to you......The suspension is passive.