Manual or automatic

All Ford Puma related discussions
microbe

Post by microbe »

I am very close to placing an order for a Puma but cannot decide whether to go for the auto version (as required by my wife) or the 155PS hybrid version. We will be getting the Vignale model as the ST line seats are too tight for my wife and the suspension felt rather poor on our test drive on Saturday. Can owners of the two engine types give me their views? Many thanks
Puma ST-Line X 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Desert Island Blue 2021

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Well, if your wife requires it.....Game over.. :D :)
The ST-Line doesn't have 'poor suspension', it's sports suspension so wouldn't suit your requirements.
There are some on here with the Vignale auto and they seem more than happy with it.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

I have a 155 st line X hybrid. I test drove the 125 and the 155. The 155 felt a bit more peppy (if that's a word) . It has a physically bigger turbo to provide the extra boost and torque.

The auto dual clutch gear box is only available on the 125 non hybrid engine. I have no experience of this gearbox or non hybrid motor. A recent motoring journalist didn't give it the greatest of write ups, but what do they know.

With regards to suspension I think the st line and the st line X vignale will have the same set up. The difference being 17" or 18" rims, which may explain the harshness of ride.

You may want to test drive the Titanium, available with all engines with comfier massaging seats and a softer set up.
Deleted User 229

Post by Deleted User 229 »

Confused, the full title of the Vignale is ST Line X Vignale.
paulv

Post by paulv »

Vignale auto owner here - I love my automatic - prior to my last car I had always been manual, but the mondeo vignale I had for two years before getting this Puma made it impossible for me to choose anything else other than automatic. It does virtually everything for you, which i like, especially combined with the
adaptive cruise, and even coming to a full stop behind traffic it does it all for you - I havent tried the intelligent drive yet as I prefer to control my own speed, I think it would do fairly well but there have been a couple of occasions where it sees 30mph traffic signs on side roads that don't apply to my route, so it would slow down when I didn't want it to, but s you have the choice its fine.

as regards suspension, I'm a comfort kinda guy, and the Puma has been a very nice ride up to now (600 miles +)

If you are like my mate though - who likes to 'drive' a car then it may be automation gone a little too far, but its perfect for me.

and with the vignale you do get a M (manual I assume) mode, complete with flappy paddles to change up and down gears - so maybe best of both worlds?

having said all that, I did put mine in sport mode recently, and found a boy racer in me that I never knew existed :), so a 155 sounds like it might be nice too!

although as Sparks says, if the wife requires it then its a no brainer :)
FORD PUMA ST-LINE X VIGNALE 1.0L ECOBOOST 125PS 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC - LUCID RED
long name... nice car :D
microbe

Post by microbe »

Thanks for the replies. I perhaps used the wrong words. The ride we experienced in the ST line was not to our liking, rather than being poor. We looked at the Titanium and would have gone for it except that neither of us like the black bolt on wheel arches. That only left the Vignale as we would not have the ST Line. When I raised this with the rep his feedback was

Tyres ST/Line X are low profiles - ST/Line X Vignale are normal road

Suspension, both are sports suspension, however the ST Line and ST/line defult to Sports, you can change this setting where as the Vignale defults to Normal

The different tyres may have an effect although the wheels on the Vignale ar 18".

I only discovered today that there are a number of ride settings that will affect how it feels and the car we drove may have have been set to sport. I am trying out the other settings tomorrow.

My wife are of an age where comfort rather than boy racer driver types which is why we disliked feeling all of the road imperfections on our drive.

We are perhaps unfairly comparing with the Porsche Macan that has been our main car in the past but lockdown, retirement and job change means it is has only done 1500 miles this calendar year, which is why we are looking to change.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Porsche Macan, what a lovely car. Bet you'll miss it.

There are no setting modes that adjust the suspension. The drive modes available adjust the throttle response and engine map for the given conditions.

I think wheel/tyre size will be crucial to your decision.

I don't think there is any difference between the seats in the st-line, line X or line X vignale, just the leather and covering.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Changing into 'Sports Mode' doesn't change the suspension set up, only the performance..
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Sparks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm Changing into 'Sports Mode' doesn't change the suspension set up, only the performance..
I think there's an echo in here.... 😁🀣😁
microbe

Post by microbe »

Sparks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm Changing into 'Sports Mode' doesn't change the suspension set up, only the performance..
That is rather worrying as the Vignale only comes with 18"wheels and the car we drove had 17" I think. The sales rep implied that the suspension could be changed to a softer setting.