Phone charging

All Ford Puma related discussions
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

We could really do with an on/off switch for the phone charger. It's not good for your phone to have it constantly stuck on a wireless charger. I've blocked mine off so that I can still drop the phone in there, but, I'm going to dig out my old phone holder to use most of the time.
I know I can drop it in face down, but I don't want to be having to think about it.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. ๐Ÿšท๐Ÿšณ
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Why is it not good...? Genuine question.....
Iain C

Post by Iain C »

I didnโ€™t think it mattered too much with Lithium ion batteries, in fact I thought it was better to regularly top them up than fully discharge and charge them..

Iโ€™ve had a iphone 8 plus for 3 years and am constantly connecting and disconnecting it to sync in my works car during the day, and the battery life is still fine so it hasnโ€™t done much if any damage
Ford Puma Titanium First Edition mhev 125 - Grey Matter
umbradomini

Post by umbradomini »

Phone software is generally designed to cut off charging when left on a charger and reaches 100% charge. iPhones especially now stop charging before 100% and then manage the charge levels to maintain battery life vs fully charge capacity. Itโ€™s no different to connecting by USB to use apple or android car play etc. While driving This will constantly charge as well. Or same as if you plug phone in at home and leave it on to charge. It will reach 100% before we probably unplug it; I would imagine very few people sit watching waiting for it to hit 100% and then unplug.

Unless left on 24/7 will not have a major effect on battery.
ST-Line X Vignale 155 in Lucid Red
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:15 pm Why is it not good...? Genuine question.....
I don't like to have my battery charge to 100%, I like to keep it between 45% and 80% just to keep the battery longer. Normally I would change my phone every 2 years and it wouldn't matter as it would be replaced before any noticeable degradation. However, I want to keep this one longer at least until the newer phones find something that mine can't do.
Chucking the phone into the car charger, especially, on long journeys means I can't control the charging. It doesn't matter so much on a daily run around as it's not in there long enough.
I also find that the phone gets hotter in the confined space than it normally does when charging.
Maybe it's just me, but, I would find an on off switch to be handy...
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Sparks wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:44 pm I would find an on off switch to be handy...
I'm a mid range smart phone man... So I've never had the luxury of inductive charging, my galaxy A5 is coming up to 4 years old, slightly damaged but still works a treat...๐Ÿ˜€

Would it not charge if you put it in screen side down?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:47 am
Sparks wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:44 pm I would find an on off switch to be handy...
I'm a mid range smart phone man... So I've never had the luxury of inductive charging, my galaxy A5 is coming up to 4 years old, slightly damaged but still works a treat...๐Ÿ˜€

Would it not charge if you put it in screen side down?
No it wouldn't charge face down, however, I don't like doing that since my nephew dropped a couple of two pence pieces in there and they got between the phone and the side.
I know, it's probably only me and it's a first world problem and it's never going to go my way, but hey, you never know for the future.... :D
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

That's some dedication to phone charge/discharge monitoring. How about using the door pocket instead. :lol:
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Chocky wrote: โ†‘Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm That's some dedication to phone charge/discharge monitoring. How about using the door pocket instead. :lol:
Or, as my wife advises....'Leave the bloody thing at home!' It's back on it's holder now, so no worries.... :D